Lose Internet Access When On Phone With Hub Behind Router

Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
niknak
Re: Lose Internet Access When On Phone With Hub Behind Router

Post by niknak » Sat Jul 11, 2009 7:17 pm

I'm sorry I haven't had time to read all of this thread, however one quick thought comes to mind...cable ISP's register the MAC address of the cable modem and if that gets changed around by MAC spoofing, or rearranging network devices it may cause the loss of internet access until the new MAC is registered with the ISP
Not sure if that is the problem here?

murphy

Post by murphy » Sun Jul 12, 2009 3:28 am

A more likely scenario is that since you pay the cable company for one IP address, the cable modem remembers the MAC address of the first device to connect after power on and will not allow a different MAC address to connect. Anytime that you change what is connected to the cable modem you must power cycle (turn off for 30 seconds and then turn on) the cable modem to make it forget what it learned.

You should also set the ooma hub to use it's built in MAC address for the modem port. The automatic mode for the MAC address is asking for trouble. It's a shame that it is the default.
Customer since January 2009
Telo with 2 Handsets, a Linx, and a Safety Phone
Telo2 with 2 Handsets and a Linx

scottlindner

Post by scottlindner » Sun Jul 12, 2009 4:04 am

murphy wrote:A more likely scenario is that since you pay the cable company for one IP address, the cable modem remembers the MAC address of the first device to connect after power on and will not allow a different MAC address to connect. Anytime that you change what is connected to the cable modem you must power cycle (turn off for 30 seconds and then turn on) the cable modem to make it forget what it learned.
Cable companies used to do this to prevent people from doing "funny" stuff. I didn't know any were still doing it though.

murphy wrote:You should also set the ooma hub to use it's built in MAC address for the modem port. The automatic mode for the MAC address is asking for trouble. It's a shame that it is the default.
IF this cable company requires the first MAC address used, that is why the Ooma Hub has the auto MAC mode to pass through the MAC.

However, I don't believe this is related to the OP's problem since Internet works until a call is made. I feel there is a conflict on the LAN or within the router causing the issue.

That could be it. The Hub is behind the router and is trying to use the PC's MAC address so it is being assigned the same IP by the router's DHCP server. But I thought the OP tracked that one down to ensure different IPs? I'll need to skim through the thread again.

Scott