What to do with Direct TV during install?

Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
whatshesaid
What to do with Direct TV during install?

Post by whatshesaid » Sun Jun 28, 2009 8:54 am

We have Direct TV with DVR which is connected to a phone jack. I don't understand the "other devices" directions for DVRs in my users guide. I've left everything with the DVR as-is, including the original phone company DSL splitter. I have a single phone-DSL line but am waiting on AT&T to run a dry DSL line so I can then port my phone #.

Is there anything I need to do with my DVR or its connection to the wall jack? And, if I haven't finished the proper installation with the DVR device, could this be causing the echo I am hearing on Ooma calls, or is that another issue?

niknak

Re: What to do with Direct TV during install?

Post by niknak » Sun Jun 28, 2009 9:12 am

You should not have to do anything to the DVR. Since it is already plugged in to a wall jack, it will function just like any other telephone device.

I do not have Direct TV but I read here that sometimes the OOMA dial tone interfers with the DVR dialing function. This is something that must be changed on the DVR ( you must be able to program the number the DVR calls for updates) . Others here may be able to help you depending on the model# of the DVR you have, or else you may have to call Direct TV and find out how to program the dialer in the DVR.

As far as echo on your calls, if the earpiece voice is too high it will cause echo, or else you should run a speed test (found here)

http://www.whichvoip.com/voip/speed_test/ppspeed.html

and post your results so it can be analyzed.

Also post your network configuration ie: Do you have it set up DSL Modem --> Ooma --> Router --> PC or DSL Modem --> Router --> Ooma & PC's

Groundhound

Re: What to do with Direct TV during install?

Post by Groundhound » Sun Jun 28, 2009 9:43 am

I have a Directv DVR (HR22) connected to my ooma line, but if your DVR is connected to your network and can access the Internet, the phone connection is not necessary for PPV or On Demand. We only have ours connected for the Caller ID feature.