ooma hub and airport extreme

Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
bursellj
ooma hub and airport extreme

Post by bursellj » Fri Jul 03, 2009 9:27 am

Can someone walk me through the setup to port forward on an airport extreme. I use cable for internet access. Here is my current setup:

Modem>Airport Extreme>ooma hub

The ooma hub is plugged directly into a lan port on the Airport Extreme. Voice quality is great on the ooma hub, but get a few "fuzzies" every once and awhile.

Thanks for the help.

koehn

Re: ooma hub and airport extreme

Post by koehn » Mon Jul 06, 2009 9:42 am

I have basically the same setup (with a Time Capsule). I think you have everything set up correctly, but you should call tech support and let them know about the quality issues.

If the "fuzzies" occur when you're doing Time Machine backups, you may want to re-wire to modem -> ooma -> airport extreme. Then from setup.ooma.com set your DMZ to the IP address of your airport extreme (which should now start with 172).

dralter

Post by dralter » Wed Jul 08, 2009 9:22 pm

You may get better quality if you setup Modem>Ooma>Airport Extreme, I do believe this is the optimal setup. Then enter your IP address to access the Ooma hub configuration page. From there you can set up port forwarding. I am currently forwarding ports for bittorrent, so I can tell it does work.

Aveamantium

Post by Aveamantium » Thu Jul 09, 2009 5:39 am

dralter wrote:You may get better quality if you setup Modem>Ooma>Airport Extreme, I do believe this is the optimal setup. Then enter your IP address to access the Ooma hub configuration page. From there you can set up port forwarding. I am currently forwarding ports for bittorrent, so I can tell it does work.
You can also do what dralter is saying "Modem>ooma>Airport Extreme" but then logon to the setup.ooma.com and put the IP address that is assigned to the router by ooma into the DMZ of ooma. This will eliminate any need to do any port forwarding as all ports will be forwarded to the router.
Go AVS!

yates

Post by yates » Sun Jul 12, 2009 1:25 pm

Dralter,

I am trying to do a similar setup to yours. modem-ooma-time capsule, with port forwarding for bittorrent. However, the ports just won't seem to register as open. What client are you using? If you don't mind me asking.