Non-functioning HD2 handset

Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
Norrell
Non-functioning HD2 handset

Post by Norrell » Wed Nov 04, 2015 7:18 am

I received an HD2 handset from Ooma yesterday, and set it up per instructions. After the Telo said the handset was successfully registered, the handset screen simply displayed "Connecting..." indefinitely and will not work. I used the chat support and a the Ooma rep said it's apparently defective. I've removed batteries unregistered and re-registered handset, etc. Nothing has helped.

Just thought I'd check here before I pay to ship this back to see if anyone might know of a solution. I'm pretty disappointed with Ooma at the moment. The shipping on the handset was extremely slow to begin with. Then it doesn't work and I have to pay to return it? That does not leave a good impression regarding this company...

oomamaniacal

Re: Non-functioning HD2 handset

Post by oomamaniacal » Wed Nov 04, 2015 10:20 am

I find that it is better to order the Ooma products from Amazon because free return shipping is available for defective products.
Premier Subscriber
Telo One with Four Linx Devices
Google Voice Extensions

Norrell

Post by Norrell » Wed Nov 04, 2015 1:18 pm

Thanks Maniacal. At this point, I don't think I'll continue with Ooma at all. When I was chatting with customer support, the person said just return the phone with my Ooma number for a refund. Then I noticed the packing slip stating I need a RMA for returns. Aargh.

Tom
Ooma Moderator

Post by Tom » Wed Nov 04, 2015 2:03 pm

how did you unregister the HD2 when it was in Connecting mode?

Norrell

Post by Norrell » Wed Nov 04, 2015 2:22 pm

Removed batteries from the HD2 phone. Then unplugged Telo unit. Then replaced batteries in HD2 phone and the menu option comes up to unregister the phone. Then started from scratch plugging in the Telo and letting it boot up, then putting batteries back in HD2 and doing the registration process.

I only tried this after everything else had failed.

M Code

Post by M Code » Thu Nov 05, 2015 3:54 pm

Are the batteries fully charged??
The HD2 handset and base has a very flimsy contact system for the HD2. I have found sometimes putting the HD2 back in its base the screen doesn't illuminate indicating it has not made contact with the charging base. So I make an extra effort that I get feedback when reinserting it into the base.

We have designed charging bases for Logitech/Harmony remote control without these issues, Ooma needs to rethink their contact base design. Presently Ooma uses a very thin contact strips (2) and any dust or foreign substance prevents a good contact for charging. The contact strip should be wider and even a copper coating with help.

Just my $0.02... ;)

john_swanson

Post by john_swanson » Thu Nov 05, 2015 8:40 pm

Purchased TELCO and several HD2 handsets. Activated TELCO :D and registered HD2 phones :D per instructions. HD2 phones show "Connecting ....". :cry:

Rebooted per instructions provided by technical support. :cry:

This firmware does not work. Please upgrade non-functioning firmware! :idea:

Norrell

Post by Norrell » Thu Nov 05, 2015 9:26 pm

M Code wrote:Are the batteries fully charged??
Thanks M Code. Yes, batteries are fully charged and show 100% when placed in cradle.

Norrell

Post by Norrell » Fri Nov 06, 2015 9:38 am

On a more positive note, I noticed on the original packing slip that I needed an RMA for returns (although the chat tech rep said I did not). When I called the support number to get an RMA, Ooma offered to cover costs for the return shipping without my asking. The support person was very professional and helpful.

Tom
Ooma Moderator

Post by Tom » Fri Nov 06, 2015 12:47 pm

As for the 'Connecting ...' issue. If this is happening on an HD2 never before used please contact support and request a firmware upgrade.