new user, coupla questions please

Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
screamerUSA1
Re: new user, coupla questions please

Post by screamerUSA1 » Tue Jul 14, 2009 9:03 am

Groundhound wrote:
screamerUSA1 wrote: This doesn't solve the issue of not having the Ooma dialtone. Keep in mind that I only get the Ooma dialtone on the phones w/ the Hub & Scout connected to them.
To solve one issue at a time, set aside the scout for the time being and connect the phone port of the hub straight to a Line1 wall jack. If you have not already done so, disconnect the Verizon POTS line on Line1 inside the demark box. Once this is done, you should have ooma dial tone on all Line1 jacks in the house – let us know.

Lemme see If I've got this straight.

Wall / Jack (Line 1) Office to Phone Port on Hub?

Do I connect the wall port on Hub to Phone?

in essence, I'm back to switching (X) the phn line

-----------------------------

Disconnected network interface. Now clear tab on Hub is flashing red and I have no dialtone

Groundhound

Post by Groundhound » Tue Jul 14, 2009 9:13 am

screamerUSA1 wrote: Lemme see If I've got this straight.

Disconnected network interface. Now clear tab on Hub is flashing red and I have no dialtone
In your original post you said you had a "Motorola SBV5322 Cable modem". So your ISP is cable, correct?

You do not connect the wall port on the hub to a phone. To use a phone on Line1 in the same room as the hub, use a simple duplex splitter to split the phone port so that it can be connected to both the phone and the wall jack for Line1. A splitter of this type was included with your ooma package.

Edit: Before you connected your ooma hub phone port to a wall jack, was the ooma tab blue?

screamerUSA1

Post by screamerUSA1 » Tue Jul 14, 2009 9:22 am

Groundhound wrote:
screamerUSA1 wrote: Lemme see If I've got this straight.

In your original post you said you had a "Motorola SBV5322 Cable modem". So your ISP is cable, correct?

Yes, Moto SBV5322 Cable Modem

You do not connect the wall port on the hub to a phone. To use a phone on Line1 in the same room as the hub, use a simple duplex splitter to split the phone port so that it can be connected to both the phone and the wall jack for Line1.
Don't have a splitter lying around. I'll need to run over to radio shack and pick one up.

Is there anything else I'll need while I'm out?

Groundhound

Post by Groundhound » Tue Jul 14, 2009 9:25 am

screamerUSA1 wrote: Don't have a splitter lying around. I'll need to run over to radio shack and pick one up.
Please see my edit above, you should have received such a splitter in your ooma package.

screamerUSA1

Post by screamerUSA1 » Tue Jul 14, 2009 9:33 am

Groundhound wrote:
screamerUSA1 wrote: Don't have a splitter lying around. I'll need to run over to radio shack and pick one up.
Please see my edit above, you should have received such a splitter in your ooma package.
-----------------------------------------------------------------

Wall / Jack & Phn plugged into splitter. Splitter plugged to Phn port on hub.

Rebooted Hub.

Button 1 & 2 as well as > >>| are all on solid red and clear tab is flashing.
No tone
---------------------------------------------------------------
Yo Bud, thanks alot. I really appreciate all the help I'm getting :)
Last edited by screamerUSA1 on Tue Jul 14, 2009 9:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

Groundhound

Post by Groundhound » Tue Jul 14, 2009 9:36 am

Disconnect everything from the hub's phone port, does the hub's ooma tab turn blue?

screamerUSA1

Post by screamerUSA1 » Tue Jul 14, 2009 9:46 am

Groundhound wrote:Disconnect everything from the hub's phone port, does the hub's ooma tab turn blue?
I disconnected, re-booted. Same condition as before Button 1 & 2 solid red,
> >>| solid red until I pushed them, then red light went out. Ooma tab still flashing Red. OOops! > >>| came back on solid red. hmmmmm?

--------------------------------------------------------------------

I don't understand why it took the phn companys signal to give me the Ooma tone? Took away verizon signal and Ooma's gone also :(

Groundhound

Post by Groundhound » Tue Jul 14, 2009 9:51 am

For testing purposes only, can you connect the hub directly to your modem and let us know if the hub tab turns blue?

screamerUSA1

Post by screamerUSA1 » Tue Jul 14, 2009 10:00 am

Groundhound wrote:For testing purposes only, can you connect the hub directly to your modem and let us know if the hub tab turns blue?
No, sameo sameo Ooma tab flashing Red. Box 1, 2 Trash, Send to voicemail, > >>| all on solid red. That's after reboot.

Groundhound

Post by Groundhound » Tue Jul 14, 2009 10:11 am

So if your ooma hub's modem port is connected to your modem, and your computer is connected to the ooma hub's home port (reboot both modem and hub), can you access the Internet from that computer?

Edit: Nothing connected to either the phone or wall ports for this test
Edit2: Hold down the ooma tab for a few seconds to reset it.
Last edited by Groundhound on Tue Jul 14, 2009 10:17 am, edited 1 time in total.