Can I use a long line from hub to phone?

Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
hoj
Can I use a long line from hub to phone?

Post by hoj » Thu Oct 16, 2008 4:02 pm

Because I didn't have a way to mount a scout on the wall where my cordless phone is, I tried isolating a line to that wall jack and plugging it into the phone port on the hub. There is a bit of static, but it seems to work. Could the static be because of the long cord (25 feet)? The same phone works good without static when plugged into the hub with the short cord.

I think I read in some post that other wires could cause interference. This phone line runs close to an electrical outlet below the wall jack. There is also a splice in the wire, but I feel there is a good connection. If the electrical wire is causing interference, would I have the same static if I put a scout next to the jack? Again, I didn't put a scout there because I didn't have a way to mount it on the wall.

trim81

Re: Can I use a long line from hub to phone?

Post by trim81 » Thu Oct 16, 2008 4:06 pm

yes your fine. straight from hub to phone is fine.

hoj

Re: Can I use a long line from hub to phone?

Post by hoj » Thu Oct 16, 2008 4:41 pm

trim81 wrote:yes your fine. straight from hub to phone is fine.
If the 25' cord is OK from hub to phone, then there must be something causing the static. There is no static with the same phone on a short cord.

I'll try again sometime, but for now that is the jack that I rewired again for my landline isolated from ooma until I decide to drop it.