Installation is rage inducing

Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
OomaUser206
Installation is rage inducing

Post by OomaUser206 » Thu Sep 15, 2016 11:32 am

We have used Ooma for over 2 years with ZERO PROBLEMS. No sound quality issues, no wireless problems, nothing (though that LAN based setup has got to go). We have the older model and the older wireless adapter.

Recently I wanted to upgrade to a new router. The old one works, but I feel like it's a bit slow and I wanted try an experiment to see if things could be better. I set new router's SSID and password to match the old one, thinking the Ooma would see it as the same and connect to it. Nope, just a flashing red Ooma symbol and no dial tone.I went into the Ooma and then deleted the saved WiFi info (big mistake), thinking I couldn't connect again because it was a duplicate entry (it even gave an error related to this as well, something like "network already exists hello"), and tried reconnecting to it. It got about halfway and then says "Network cannot be added. Possible reasons can be invalid Password or Weak Signal Strength.". Which are both bogus. The signal strength is (89%-100%) as reported by Ooma, and all other devices have been able to connect to the network. And there is no other signal interference, we are far enough away from other houses that we are the only Wi-Fi signal where we are.

Things I have tried:
* It won't connect to the old router anymore, since I deleted the info it used in the initial setup from the Ooma
* It won't connect to the new router
* No, I am not running MAC filtering
* The Ooma sends and receives a few (3 & 6) packets always, drops off, and then sends and receives the same number again (see picture below)
* It doesn't even get past STA-ASSOC status on the router to actually connect to it (see picture below)
* I did port triggering for every single port Ooma uses just for kicks, no change
* I assigned the MAC address of the Ooma it's own IP under DHCP and then ran the full set of ports under port forwarding, nothing
* Yes, my router has the latest firmware, and I get internet with it, both wired and wirelessly. Not a fault of the router.
* I tried hooking it up via my LAN router port to the Home Port on the Ooma, but still a red light flashing light. Am I supposed to configure internal wired settings for the Ooma for this? I'd rather not have one more box on the floor with the rest of them too.

My Dad called up Ooma and tried working on this earlier today, but they kind of gave up and suggested it was something to do with Comcast which is nonsense, and like I heard somebody say, an insult to my intelligence. Why would it be working without issue for all of this time until I just happened to change routers? Am I not allowed to change routers once it's setup? What if it physically broke, would I just be out of luck? That doesn't explain why every single device in the house can connect to the network, but Ooma can't. I am getting to the end of my rope.

Does Ooma push out device updates without user consent to install them? Clearly something has been broken from the initial setup to now. I set this up originally with no problems, I just scanned for the Wi-Fi and connected. Now it's just continual problems. Can we get another wireless adapter sent to us or a new Ooma? There is something seriously wrong. Why is it dropping connection and working with such few packets? We've been a customer for a while and I'd rather not have to go somewhere else, somewhere that is probably more expensive when I already know that Ooma physically can work, but has what looks like hardware problems.

kdmc69

Re: Installation is rage inducing

Post by kdmc69 » Thu Sep 15, 2016 11:48 am

Over the course of the last 8 years, I have changed routers many times. I've never had a problem with Ooma connecting. However, I use it wired and not wireless. I always turn off the modem, router and Telo. Next, I turn on the modem and let it come all the way up. Then the router and lastly the Telo. (I'm connected modem=>router=>Telo.) Can you try to connect by cable to see if your problem is the wireless adapter? Just a thought.
Ooma Customer Since: August 2008
Ooma Equipment: 2 Telos + 2 HD2 Handsets
Ooma Service: Premier
Amped AC 1750 Router
TWC ->Router -> Telo1
TWC ->Router -> Telo2

OomaUser206

Post by OomaUser206 » Thu Sep 15, 2016 11:55 am

kdmc69 wrote:Over the course of the last 8 years, I have changed routers many times. I've never had a problem with Ooma connecting. However, I use it wired and not wireless. I always turn off the modem, router and Telo. Next, I turn on the modem and let it come all the way up. Then the router and lastly the Telo. (I'm connected modem=>router=>Telo.) Can you try to connect by cable to see if your problem is the wireless adapter? Just a thought.
I added a little bit about that up above in the final bullet, not sure if you saw it. Am I supposed to configure anything for that? Just hooking it up as it leaves me with a red blinking light. I also can't access setup.ooma.com or anything when it's connected to my router.

murphy

Post by murphy » Thu Sep 15, 2016 3:55 pm

Connect the "To Internet" jack, not the "Home" jack, of the Telo to a LAN jack on your router.
Customer since January 2009
Telo with 2 Handsets, a Linx, and a Safety Phone
Telo2 with 2 Handsets and a Linx

spitzcor

Post by spitzcor » Wed Aug 12, 2020 6:09 pm

I have a similar situation. I have a new Wifi access point and now my Ooma Telo won't connect. The difference here is that I've created a new SSID name. I chose to use one with a space (" "). That is a legal name, but the Telo won't work. I set up a guest network on the new access point without a space and it connects no problem. Did you have a space in your SSID name by any chance? I know that your issue is several issues old. I'm wondering if you ever figured it out.

RCFlick

Post by RCFlick » Fri Aug 21, 2020 4:32 am

I solved the problem by daisy-chaining the older router to the Hughes Net modem and then connected the old router to Telo. Bingo, it started working very well. I made a couple of test calls during the time of high traffic and usual slow Internet, and it worked just fine with the Hughes Net satellite Internet. So I;m back in business with Telo and Ooma from our farm inb rural Ecuador via Hughes Net.