how to connect Ooma to ADT Security system

Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
bromberg
how to connect Ooma to ADT Security system

Post by bromberg » Fri Sep 23, 2016 5:40 pm

My community has an alarm contract with ADT Security Systems. The ADT worker installed their wall unit but he wasn't certain it would work with Ooma's VOIP and said I must have a land line for their system to function. Based on his uncooperative attitude and anxiousness to leave I had little trust in him.

Has anybody ever successfully hooked up their Ooma (residential) unit to an ADT security system?
If so, any details you could provide as to what was involved would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance to all who reply,
Dan

murphy

Re: how to connect Ooma to ADT Security system

Post by murphy » Sat Sep 24, 2016 3:07 am

I have not done it but connect as follows.
Telo phone jack to the input phone connection on the alarm system.
Output phone connection from the alarm system to the rest of your phones.
Put the Telo into alarm mode in your my ooma account.

The alarm system must be able to grab the phone line if a call is already in progress via a regular phone.

That said, I use a Verizon underground copper land line for my alarm system.
Customer since January 2009
Telo with 2 Handsets, a Linx, and a Safety Phone
Telo2 with 2 Handsets and a Linx

larryk

Post by larryk » Sat Sep 24, 2016 9:58 am

I have the same problem, I have attempted a direct wired connection, and I have changed to "alarm system" in the Telo setup, however the call never gets to the monitoring agency.
I have decided to go with the CDMA WIFI BAT device (google it) for reporting purposes. It uses your internet connection first, and then Verizon as a backup.

gardnr01

Post by gardnr01 » Mon Sep 14, 2020 8:25 am

Posting this in the hope it will save others a lot of time and expense. I recently switched my Mother's home phone over to Ooma (I've been an Ooma customer for 10+ years). Once completed she started getting an error code on her ADT alarm indicating a communication problem. I assumed I somehow missed a connection when migrating the phone line but his was not the issue. Called ADT and they came out and confirmed that the security box had dial tone but that Ooma was not compatible with their system due to something he called "Tone Rate". Gave me an option to install a wireless communication device for $199 + $12/mth. Called Ooma tech support to see if they had any suggestions. While on hold, I found a thread on this forum about changing a setting within Ooma from "Phone" to "Alarm". Couldn't find this option in settings. Waited for agent to answer and described the issue. Ooma agent said many security companies devices dont work with Ooma. When I mentioned I found a solution in the forums about changing a setting, she went looking for it, then came back and said the post was from 2012 and these options "may" not still be available and she didn't know of any such setting. Was about to give ADT the greenlight to install the wireless option but decided to check one more time in MyOoma. After a min or so I found it. Changed the setting to Alarm and viola, all was working as it should.

So, if you are having issues with Ooma working with your alarm system. Try this first:
1) Login to MyOoma
2) Go to preferences
3) Select Devices
4) Choose the appropriate device that routes the number to your alarm system (i.e. Telo, Lynx, etc.) and select "Edit"
5) Go Down to "Mode" and change this from "PHONE/FAX" to "ALARM"
6) Hit "Save"
7) Wait a few moments and your dial tone will change

BTW, if you hate the Ooma dialtone, this is also a solution to change it.

Not sure why this isn't set as the default. Somewhat suspicious that this isn't better documented. I love Ooma but, this seems like a sneaky way to get you to buy their security devices.

larryk

Post by larryk » Tue Sep 15, 2020 7:54 am

As long as this works consistently. I tried this also a few years ago, and while it did work "mostly" it was not consistent (for me) and I went with a wifi/cell communication interface.

thomasm

Post by thomasm » Mon Dec 21, 2020 10:27 am

ADT expects a POTS line (plain old telephone service) connected to their alarm system. I had an ADT system installed in 1994 and had no trouble with it for years. Then I got Ooma. It would try and try to connect but always fail. Since ADT's service is no prize (their dispatchers constantly goof up) I cancelled it. But I had the installer password for the ADT system so I disabled the dialer. Meanwhile, a friend gave me a dialer he no longer used so I connected it to the ADT system so it would detect the 12 volts sent to the siren and dial my cellphone using Ooma. The dialer would announce "the alarm has been activated" so I knew what was going on.

Then Ooma introduced their own security system. I purchased a bunch of sensors and powered down the old ADT system. Since I've had Ooma Premier for years and since I got the Ooma security system when it first came out Ooma waived the monthly fee for the security service. So now for ten bucks a month (plus taxes and fees) I get home phone service AND a security system. I even convinced my neighbor to get Ooma.