Quick Setup Question

Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
bw1
Re: Quick Setup Question

Post by bw1 » Thu Jul 30, 2009 3:20 pm

You could potentially damage the hub in the worst case. In the best case, it won't work. The dialtones will conflict with each other. Someone else recently had it hooked up that way and it didn't work for them.

southsound

Post by southsound » Thu Jul 30, 2009 3:20 pm

Franchise_24 wrote: On a side note, what *could* happen if I left my house wired to the street and hooked ooma to it so it would ring through the existing phone lines? How realistic is it that voltage goes through those lines?
Ringing voltage is between 90 and 100 volts but not a lot of current so it still carries a "class C" wiring designation. But the bigger problem is if there is also dialtone or even talk battery on those lines. Then the systems do not play well together. Also, there could be a privacy issue. If the pair that serves your house is not disconnected at your network interface block then your phone line could reach other subscribers (depending on how well the telco's installation crew followed policy). Interferance can also be a problem. But none of this is as severe as backfeeding a generator to your powerline in a blackout. That can fry line crews working on the high voltage side of the line because the same transformer that can bring transmission voltage from 14.4 kilovolts to 120 V for your house can take the 120 V from your generator and turn it into 14.4 kilovolts!
ooma customer since February 2009
VoIP hardware: 2 Telo w/3 handsets & Linx / ooma core
Total Lines: 8 / Numbers: 11 / Handsets: 20
Lifetime Premier Member
Friends don't remember what Landline Integration was or why we did it.

Franchise_24

Post by Franchise_24 » Thu Jul 30, 2009 4:08 pm

Thanks again guys. On one other final side note about porting. I had ooma email me and say I had to fill out the LOA and email them a scan of my bill. Can I email the LOA as well or does that actually need to be mailed to them? If so what email address, just reply to the one they attached it to me on first?

murphy

Post by murphy » Thu Jul 30, 2009 4:19 pm

They both go to loa@ooma.com

I recommend putting both attachments in the same email so they can't get separated.
Customer since January 2009
Telo with 2 Handsets, a Linx, and a Safety Phone
Telo2 with 2 Handsets and a Linx