Whole House

Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
bw1
Re: Whole House

Post by bw1 » Sun Aug 02, 2009 7:18 pm

southsound wrote: back in the days when the normal desk set was the WE 2500. :razz:
http://www.paul-f.com/we2500typ.html

I want one!

niknak

Post by niknak » Sun Aug 02, 2009 8:03 pm

bw1 wrote:
southsound wrote: back in the days when the normal desk set was the WE 2500. :razz:

I want one!
I am actually still using a WE 700 series wall unit in the kitchen!

southsound

Post by southsound » Sun Aug 02, 2009 8:58 pm

OK - here's where we get seriously off topic. aLf, please forgive us.
bw1 wrote:

I want one!
Fun page. In fact, it brought back memories of my first autodial phone, the 2660:
Image and cards Image

I also had a 1A speakerphone: Image

I was just in my garage going through some boxes of old telco gear and I noticed that I still have one of the 2500 phones with a 4A speakerphone and at least one extra microphone and maybe even an extra speaker (but only one connecting block). The picture below shows it with a rotary phone - mine is touchtone. You will recognize it is the one used on Charlie's Angels. bw1, if you are a collector or an old telco employee, we should talk. Image

Thanks for the trip down memory lane! :cool:
ooma customer since February 2009
VoIP hardware: 2 Telo w/3 handsets & Linx / ooma core
Total Lines: 8 / Numbers: 11 / Handsets: 20
Lifetime Premier Member
Friends don't remember what Landline Integration was or why we did it.

bw1

Post by bw1 » Mon Aug 03, 2009 7:36 am

southsound wrote:OK - here's where we get seriously off topic. aLf, please forgive us.
bw1 wrote:

I want one!
bw1, if you are a collector or an old telco employee, we should talk.
Nope, just thought it was neat. I should check to see if my parents have any old phones. I think they were all thrown out.

WayneDsr

Post by WayneDsr » Mon Aug 03, 2009 8:16 am

That was awesome Southsound. I remember them all.
The "IPHONES" of the old days!

Wayne

gbickel1

Post by gbickel1 » Wed Aug 05, 2009 3:58 am

WayneDsr wrote:Well, since you "caught" me browsing I might as well put in my 2 cents. :-)

I believe you can plug both the PHONE (to get phone over the entire house) AND plug the WALL into the wall jack to get Scout anywhere in the house as long as you don't have a landline OR DSL sharing the main line.
Hello, I too am a new user and spent a couple weeks browsing the forums before deciding to purchase Ooma. Here is how I have my system connected. I switched over from Time Warner digital phone, so the phone company leads were disconnected years ago, I simply needed to unplug the phone line from my cable modem. I have a splitter connected to a wall jack, and have both the PHONE and WALL plugs on the Ooma hub connected to the splitter. This supplies dialtone to all the jacks in the house and allows me to connect the scout anywhere I want. I have my scout connected to an unused wall jack using it's WALL port. The scout does not have a phone connected to it, and is funtioning as an answering machine.

My house phones are wireless handsets with a single base pluged into a wall jack in the kitchen (that's why I have an unused jack in the living room). I believe that the premium services such as instant second line, call screening, and the ability to press the envelope button to record the call only work for phones running from the phone jack on the hub or scout. So if I want to use these features, I need to used the hub (since it powers the phones). Or, I could move the handset base to the living room and plug it into the scout PHONE port.

My setup is working very well for me, and I am happy with it. My Directv receiver has no issues dialing out, and I am able to fax by using the *99, prefix.

bw1

Post by bw1 » Wed Aug 05, 2009 8:21 am

gbickel1 wrote:
WayneDsr wrote:Well, since you "caught" me browsing I might as well put in my 2 cents. :-)

I believe you can plug both the PHONE (to get phone over the entire house) AND plug the WALL into the wall jack to get Scout anywhere in the house as long as you don't have a landline OR DSL sharing the main line.
Hello, I too am a new user and spent a couple weeks browsing the forums before deciding to purchase Ooma. Here is how I have my system connected. I switched over from Time Warner digital phone, so the phone company leads were disconnected years ago, I simply needed to unplug the phone line from my cable modem. I have a splitter connected to a wall jack, and have both the PHONE and WALL plugs on the Ooma hub connected to the splitter. This supplies dialtone to all the jacks in the house and allows me to connect the scout anywhere I want. I have my scout connected to an unused wall jack using it's WALL port. The scout does not have a phone connected to it, and is funtioning as an answering machine.

My house phones are wireless handsets with a single base pluged into a wall jack in the kitchen (that's why I have an unused jack in the living room). I believe that the premium services such as instant second line, call screening, and the ability to press the envelope button to record the call only work for phones running from the phone jack on the hub or scout. So if I want to use these features, I need to used the hub (since it powers the phones). Or, I could move the handset base to the living room and plug it into the scout PHONE port.

My setup is working very well for me, and I am happy with it. My Directv receiver has no issues dialing out, and I am able to fax by using the *99, prefix.
First, welcome to Ooma.

There are others who have successfully set it up like you. I would just caution that you run your phone lines that are coming out of the hub and going to the wall, through a surge suppressor to reduce the possibility of surge damage.

WayneDsr

Post by WayneDsr » Wed Aug 05, 2009 8:50 am

Just curous, bw1, from where is the surge coming from, lightning?
Thanks,

Wayne

gbickel1

Post by gbickel1 » Wed Aug 05, 2009 8:56 am

bw1 wrote:First, welcome to Ooma.

There are others who have successfully set it up like you. I would just caution that you run your phone lines that are coming out of the hub and going to the wall, through a surge suppressor to reduce the possibility of surge damage.

This I will do. Thanks for the tip.

gbickel1

Post by gbickel1 » Wed Aug 05, 2009 9:03 am

WayneDsr wrote:Just curous, bw1, from where is the surge coming from, lightning?
Thanks,

Wayne
Considering that my satellite receiver and my computer modem are plugged into wall jacks. A surge could easily be transferred thru the phone line.