Cannot call out with new Telo installation

Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
VOIPman
Cannot call out with new Telo installation

Post by VOIPman » Sun Sep 09, 2018 3:26 pm

Hi!

I just set up my Telo yesterday. Everything seemed fine. I successfully called out after getting a dial tone. I figured everything was set up. Then I tried to call my new number and it just rang busy.

I chatted with support, they verified that call forwarding was not set up, or another premier service. They told me to call Tech support,. He said: "I'm isolating the problem to be a routing issue."

Anyone else have this problem? Not sure what kind of routing problem it could be. My router seems to be working fine. I tried calling my original VOIP number from the Telo and it rang. Is that normal? I haven't killed the AT&T service yet. Frankly, I want to make sure this works right before I do. And it's only day 2 of having the Telo.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks!

murphy

Re: Cannot call out with new Telo installation

Post by murphy » Sun Sep 09, 2018 4:20 pm

He was talking about phone call routing on the analog phone network that interconnects phone companies. Every phone company has routing tables that tell them how to route a phone call from their company to a different company. It can take some time for all of that to get set up for a new number.
Customer since January 2009
Telo with 2 Handsets, a Linx, and a Safety Phone
Telo2 with 2 Handsets and a Linx

VOIPman

Post by VOIPman » Sun Sep 09, 2018 5:34 pm

@murphy Thanks for the quick reply. I'm not sure what you mean. I haven't called AT&T to cancel their VOIP through U-verse yet. I have the number I selected for my Telo. I'm afraid to cancel AT&T until the Telo is working inbound and outbound. You say it takes quite some time for this to shake out, but I haven't ported my number. I thought you only had to wait the 3-4 weeks if you ported your number.

murphy

Post by murphy » Mon Sep 10, 2018 2:53 am

You activated a new phone number from a list that Ooma gave to you. It is probably a number that was previously used by someone else. It's old routing should have been deleted when it was deactivated. Its new routing has to be set up. If you don't care about that specific number, ask Ooma to replace it with a different number. Emphasize that you want a number that works.

You should be on a trial of Ooma Premier. Premier allows you to select a second phone number. Do that to see if the second number works. If it does tell Ooma that you want the second number to be your primary number so it will stay if you cancel Premier before the end of the trial.

If you intend to port your AT&T number, do NOT cancel it. It must be an active number for it to be ported.
Customer since January 2009
Telo with 2 Handsets, a Linx, and a Safety Phone
Telo2 with 2 Handsets and a Linx

VOIPman

Post by VOIPman » Tue Sep 11, 2018 3:07 pm

@murphy Thanks. I chatted with support and got them to give me a new batch of numbers to choose a new, working from. The new one works when calling in or out. :)