Two AT&T Lines to Ooma and multiple line phones

Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
gadgetnut
Re: Two AT&T Lines to Ooma and multiple line phones

Post by gadgetnut » Mon Apr 26, 2021 11:41 am

Yes, we do have Premier, but if set up the Private Line, the numbers (as you say) will be private and unique, and we would lose the "trunk hunting" function we require, right? Thus, if we need a second call coming in to the main number to be forwarded to "Line 2," we need to leave Private Line service off?

murphy

Post by murphy » Mon Apr 26, 2021 3:35 pm

The instant second line does not hunt to the second number. You can have two active calls on the same number. You would, however, need another Linx or an Ooma handset to make use of it. It has never occurred to me before but maybe you could have 4 active calls on the two numbers. I'll have to figure out a way to test it. It would require re-configuring my hardware. Right now I have two Telos with a total of 4 phone numbers, two in PA, 1 in FL and 1 in UT.

If you configure a Telo and a Linx in the same group you will have the ability to have two simultaneous calls on your primary number I have no idea what would happen if you have two numbers and 3 Linx in the same group. On further thought yes I do. The Telo supports a maximum of two simultaneous phone calls. A third call would go to voicemail.

I just re-read your title. What are the AT&T lines? Ooma doesn't support connection to landlines anymore. That went away in 2009.
Customer since January 2009
Telo with 2 Handsets, a Linx, and a Safety Phone
Telo2 with 2 Handsets and a Linx

gadgetnut

Post by gadgetnut » Mon Apr 26, 2021 4:35 pm

Thank you, Murphy, for your continuing assistance. As far as my project goes, please disregard the title of this thread and the original post. My question was so similar to the OP, I had added to the already existing thread. We are not using landlines. We essentially want to get a single published phone number, a small group of two to three people, and four two-line phones to work peaceably together. As of now, things are looking pretty good. As mentioned above, Telo is feeding all phones’ Line 1 and Linx is feeding all phones’ Line 2. With all these moving parts, I am trying to sort out optimal workflow for three users and their instruments’ line buttons, etc.

gadgetnut

Post by gadgetnut » Thu Apr 29, 2021 2:52 pm

Hello, all. Quick followup with some results of this installation. All is working as designed and we are pleased. The two line desk phones are dealing pretty well with the new service. One unanticipated “feature” emerged, can you guess what it is? When no one is on the phone and an incoming call comes in, both lines 1 and 2 on all phones ring. In other words, the Linx (connected to the phones’ Line 2) is operating as it should— as an extension— thus with an incoming call, Lines 1 and 2 ring simultaneously at each phone! Disconcerting but not really a problem, just pickup the handset and answer normally. VOiP does blur my POTS and ancient concept of phone lines, though. :D :D I realize we could enable Private Line to stop this but then I think we’d lose the “trunk hunting” functionality we need. All in all, we’re pleased. Thanks again so much for the support here!