Two AT&T Lines to Ooma and multiple line phones

Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
tonyg
Two AT&T Lines to Ooma and multiple line phones

Post by tonyg » Thu Sep 27, 2018 10:23 am

I have two AT&T land line numbers that need to be ported over to Ooma. I have a phone with two line capability. How do I get each external number to ring to its own line on the two line phone? I believe private accounts is the answer.

Can you use the private account to associate each Linx to one of the phone numbers and go to each line of the two line phone and have a fax connected directly to the Ooma device directly? I wasn't sure if both lines could be assigned to Linx devices.

Essentially we want what we have now - two lines that can ring in independently of each other and make calls independently.

murphy

Re: Two AT&T Lines to Ooma and multiple line phones

Post by murphy » Thu Sep 27, 2018 11:50 am

Presumably the fax is connected to one of your two lines.
Add one Linx as a private line using the non fax number.
The other number is on the Telo and connects to the fax and the phone using a standard phone line splitter.
Customer since January 2009
Telo with 2 Handsets, a Linx, and a Safety Phone
Telo2 with 2 Handsets and a Linx

tonyg

Post by tonyg » Thu Sep 27, 2018 12:00 pm

Was going to have a separate/third number for the fax IF we used it. Wanted two lines exclusively for phone. Wanted both of those lines connected via Linx, leaving the Telo port for fax.

murphy

Post by murphy » Thu Sep 27, 2018 1:17 pm

If you want a third line then yes two Linx, each as a private line will do what you want.

tonyg

Post by tonyg » Fri Sep 28, 2018 4:41 am

Thanks very much. Unrelated, but very important. There is no true "busy ring over" function in either Ooma or Ooma Office from what I'm reading. Phone number 1 on line 1 is being used and someone calls. The call is pushed to phone number 2 on line 2

murphy

Post by murphy » Fri Sep 28, 2018 6:20 am

Once the second number is made a private number it is just that. The original use was for an in-law private phone in the same house.

You could add another Linx or an HD3 in the same group as line 1. Then if line 1 was busy and line 2 was not busy that Linx or HD3 would ring using the instant second line feature.

There is a maximum of two simultaneous calls on a Telo no matter how they are allocated.

Office can handle more lines but it comes at a cost.

tonyg

Post by tonyg » Fri Sep 28, 2018 6:37 am

I don't know. That seems to contradict everything else that I have read in the forums - that there is no real busy ring over with multiple numbers available.

murphy

Post by murphy » Fri Sep 28, 2018 7:42 am

If you have Premier, which you have to if you have two numbers, you have the instant second line The Telo can handle two simultaneous calls on a single phone number. The second call can either be answering an incoming call or originating an outgoing call. To be possible there must be either a Linx or an HD3 allocated to the number.

jwhart

Post by jwhart » Mon Feb 22, 2021 3:38 pm

I have 2 Ooma telephone numbers (accounts) at 2 locations. I want to move the 2nd number (account) to the 1st number / location. If I upgrade to Premier at the 1st location, change the service address for the 2nd number to the 1st location, will I then be able to receive calls to both telephone numbers at that address?

murphy

Post by murphy » Mon Feb 22, 2021 5:01 pm

It sounds like you have two Telos.
Move the second Telo to the first location.
Update the address for the moved Telo.
Plug both Telos into your router. Do not put them in series.
You are done.
Premier is not needed unless you want both numbers on a single Telo. That requires porting the number and a Premier account. You can't have two accounts on a single Telo.

If this isn't what you want to do, describe what you have now and what you want to end up with in extensive detail.