Connecting to your phone jacks.... Ground wire?

Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
VOIPman
Connecting to your phone jacks.... Ground wire?

Post by VOIPman » Thu Sep 27, 2018 3:31 pm

I'm getting ready to change my Ooma configuration to run though all my home's phone jacks, vs. just the one it's working with now. For my situation, the literature states:

"You do not have a landline physically connected to your home. This means that the phone company’s wiring outside your house has been completely and physically disconnected from your home’s internal phone jack wiring, including any ground wire."

I went outside, found the telephone box and unplugged the phone jack. Other than the jack, do I really need to be concerned about finding and disconnecting a ground wire? I think all I saw other than the jack was two wires, which I think were green and red. Is this warning about ground wires just a CYA, or do I need to take it seriously and find one and disconnect it?

Thanks!

murphy

Re: Connecting to your phone jacks.... Ground wire?

Post by murphy » Thu Sep 27, 2018 4:01 pm

The external phone system is not grounded. There is usually a local ground wire connected to a lightning arrestor. Disconnecting the phone jack is sufficient but you should tag the plug with a warning to not ever reconnect it.
Customer since January 2009
Telo with 2 Handsets, a Linx, and a Safety Phone
Telo2 with 2 Handsets and a Linx