Porting an existing OOMA Phone # to a new OOMA

Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
naednek
Porting an existing OOMA Phone # to a new OOMA

Post by naednek » Sat Nov 03, 2018 6:25 pm

No where in the set up asked if I already have an ooma. I bought a Telo Air 2 and went through the set up. It assigned me a new # and it's asking me to pay $39 to port an existing phone number from my carrier. Does OOMA consider themselves a carrier?

I would assume\think that 1: they'd recognize me as an existing user, know that I'm adding a device, and let me transfer that # to that device. Instead right now I have two #'s and probably being charged the $4 tax for both lines. Nowhere in my app, or website tells me how to deactivate my old ooma telo.

Not really complaining, just not a very smooth process for people who "upgraded" their hardware. Everything else was a breeze as always.

oomamaniacal

Re: Porting an existing OOMA Phone # to a new OOMA

Post by oomamaniacal » Sat Nov 03, 2018 6:33 pm

Instead of activating the new unit online, the correct procedure would be to call Ooma support to transfer your account to the new Telo.
Premier Subscriber
Telo One with Four Linx Devices
Google Voice Extensions

naednek

Re: Porting an existing OOMA Phone # to a new OOMA

Post by naednek » Sun Nov 04, 2018 8:05 am

That would have been nice to know. I don't know, page 1 of the instruction manual.... I can't be the only one. Also it would have been nice for the tech to tell me that when I called prior to purchasing it.