Ooma has problem with fast internet?

Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
jhobbs
Ooma has problem with fast internet?

Post by jhobbs » Thu Nov 29, 2018 1:10 pm

I think Ooma has a problem with 450 Mbps data rates.

I installed Ooma Telo Air and it worked great for 3 weeks on my old 100 Mbps WiFi, so I ported my phone number. The port didn't affect connection quality. So I called Spectrum (Charter) to cancel their phone service. They did a free upgrade from 100 Mbps service to 400 Mbps, which required new modem and router. That's when the troubles started, but Alexa and Roku are both on WiFi and work without issue.

After changing WiFi password, Ooma connected but dropped out (red light blinking) every 15 minutes or so.
Ooma does this whether connected via WI-Fi, or to router via cable, or when inserted between modem and router. In all configurations, Ooma works most of the time, but will drop connection about every 15 minutes. When Ooma is between the modem and router, all communications stop (WiFi and router wired connections) when Ooma quits, even though Ooma's graphic shows the internet connected. I tried changing the port MAC address from Automatic to "Use Built In" per Thunderbird's recommendation, no help.
0011.png
Spectrum internet connection
0011.png (35.91KiB)Viewed 21465 times
I thought maybe the WiFi was dropping out, so I connected my Roku via wifi (2.4G) and watched TV for a couple of hours, no issues. I've been listening to music on Amazon Echo (2.4G WiFi) with no dropouts.

I assume the problem is with Ooma not being able to deal with the higher data rates (normally tests about 400Mbps but occasionally exceeds 450Mbps). What can I do to get Ooma working reliably?
Attachments
0013.jpg
0013.jpg (25.16KiB)Viewed 21465 times

murphy

Re: Ooma has problem with fast internet?

Post by murphy » Thu Nov 29, 2018 1:32 pm

The Telo supports a maximum of 100 Mbps. That should not be a problem unless you put it between your modem and router. It needs to be connected to a LAN port on your router. I do not use WiFi for my two Telos.

Run the html5 version of this test.

http://www.whichvoip.com/voip/speed_test/ppspeed.html

All of the result icons should be green.
Customer since January 2009
Telo with 2 Handsets, a Linx, and a Safety Phone
Telo2 with 2 Handsets and a Linx

Grouchy44

Post by Grouchy44 » Thu Nov 29, 2018 1:34 pm

With original Ooma Telo if you put it between the modem and router you will limit the speed of your internet connection. Another post stated that Ooma was limited to 100Mbps. Don't know if the speed has gone up with the Telo Air 2. I have had the original Ooma Telo for nearly three years and got along fine but the last three months we have had considerable problems with call quality issues no matter whether the Telo was connected wireless or direct.

jhobbs

Post by jhobbs » Thu Nov 29, 2018 2:46 pm

Thanks!

All the test results are green.
I've changed back to cable and hoping for the best. It's been blue for a while.

Do I need to make any other changes in Ooma's setup program?

jhobbs

Post by jhobbs » Fri Nov 30, 2018 8:34 pm

I had Spectrum change my data rate back to 100 Mbps, the same speed it was at when I used Ooma successfully for 3 weeks. But Ooma still fails.

I called Ooma support who had me change a couple of things, in Ooma's router-like home-screen, no help. I reset to factory options, still no help.

Very frustrated! I'm beginning to think it must be a hardware issue.
I hope their support is open on Saturdays.

jhobbs

Post by jhobbs » Mon Dec 03, 2018 7:59 am

Ooma is sending a replacement unit; should arrive in 3-5 days.

Ooma's tech says the unit is not limited to less than 100 Mbps, that others are using Ooma with 400 Mbps download rates, but Ooma has not published anything about a maximum internet speed.

Not sure if I'm brave enough to ask Spectrum to bump the speed back to the 400 Mbps rate, or leave it at 100 Mbps.

murphy

Post by murphy » Mon Dec 03, 2018 8:55 am

My Telo1 and Telo2 are both connected to a gigabit switch. They both negotiate a speed of 100 Mbps. The switch is connected to the router at 1Gbps (1000 Mbps) and they both work fine. The router is connected to the modem at 1 Gbps. The service I am paying for is 250 Mbps.

When two boxes are connected together they negotiate the speed that will be used. It doesn't matter if one is faster than the other. They will pick a speed that both can handle.

jhobbs

Post by jhobbs » Mon Dec 03, 2018 9:07 am

Hi Murphy, I appreciate your replies.

Do you think there would be any problem hooking my Ooma to a 450Mbps router, via direct or Wi-Fi?

murphy

Post by murphy » Mon Dec 03, 2018 11:40 am

No, the router and the Telo will negotiate between them a speed that works for both. It doesn't matter if it's hardwired or WiFi. Personally I prefer hard wired connections if at all possible.

jhobbs

Post by jhobbs » Thu Dec 06, 2018 9:03 am

Just venting about Ooma support.
I called Monday 12/3 and was told a replacement unit would be shipped "soon" and should arrive within 3-5 days, and they mentioned a tracking number. Called Wednesday and they promised same again.

Called 12/6 and replacement has not yet shipped, and there is no tracking number. Again, they parroted 3-5 days...

This is my home phone system that doesn't work. Doesn't make me feel good about ordering anything further from Ooma.