Ooma has problem with fast internet?

Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
Grouchy44
Re: Ooma has problem with fast internet?

Post by Grouchy44 » Wed Dec 12, 2018 1:53 pm

I have had my Telo hooked to a 1 gig internet connection for over 2 years and have used it both direct connected and wireless with no issues due to the speed of my internet or 1 gig network so your 450 Mbps connection should not be a problem. My issues have come in the last three months or so with call drops and other issues like many other people are reporting. I am still trying to determine if I have an issue with my Telo unit or something else.

jhobbs

Post by jhobbs » Wed Dec 19, 2018 2:15 pm

I'm more confused than ever!

Ooma blinked red for at least 5 minutes, so I got disgusted and called Spectrum to re-order a phone line.. I also had them switch the internet rate back to their 450Gbps, which took immediate effect.

Now I think I must have scared Ooma, it's been constant Blue since the change in internet speed to 450, at least 7 hours. But changing Spectrum's modem and router to enable the 450 speed seems to have triggered the original problem, and now changing back to 450 seems to have resolved the issue?

I really wish I had the knowledge and capability to test for whatever is/was wrong with the Ooma. Is it possible that Spectrum did something to condition their line for their phone (part of their modem)? Seems unlikely, since my TV and Alexa have been working reliably, before and after the changes.

My big worry is whether Ooma will continue to work satisfactorily. I really like Ooma features and options better than the Spectrum phone service, regardless of price. But a phone has to be reliable, period.

I would appreciate any suggestions for testing the cable connection, and/or opinions about Ooma reliability.

murphy

Post by murphy » Wed Dec 19, 2018 2:56 pm

A cable modem memorizes the first MAC address to connect to it after power on and will reject all others. This is how the cable company prevents you from getting more IP addresses from them than you are paying for.

Bottom line: Any time any change is made turn the cable modem off and if it has a battery backup, disconnect the battery. Turn off whatever is next in line, Telo or router. Turn off whatever is third in line, Telo or router.

Power on the cable modem and WAIT until it completes synchronization with the cable company.
Turn the next device on and wait until it comes on line.
Turn the third device on and wait until it comes on line.

Can you get away with not following these steps? Yes but it will bite you when you are in a hurry.

Note that I said modem. If you have a gateway (modem and router in the same box) it can be different especially if you also have a router which means you have two routers in series. That is called double NAT and has its own set of problems.

The only time I have had a problem was when my modem began failing and was discarding 17% of the upstream packets. A new modem fixed that. I have two Telos, in addition to 35 smart home devices, connected to my router. They all get along just fine. My speed is 250/10.
Customer since January 2009
Telo with 2 Handsets, a Linx, and a Safety Phone
Telo2 with 2 Handsets and a Linx

bashley101

Post by bashley101 » Sat Oct 24, 2020 2:24 pm

Our older Telo, when connected between the cablemodem and the lan, limits our download speed to 100Mbs. When connected a"the other way" the phone experiences frequent dropouts during a conversation BUT we get the full 225 Mbs download speed we're paying for.

Do the newer Telos (Telo 2?) permit gigabit speed like pretty much ALL other devices do now?

I've tried to find out this info direct from Telo (3 chats, 2 phone calls) with NO success.

murphy

Post by murphy » Sat Oct 24, 2020 2:58 pm

No. I have had a Telo behind my router since 2009. The only time I had a problem was when my cable modem started randomly dropping packets. A new modem fixed that problem.

bashley101

Post by bashley101 » Mon Oct 26, 2020 8:07 am

So the newer units are NOT gigabit? We never got a straight answer from the phone-reps. They're sending a replacement unit in case something is wrong with ours...

thomasm

Post by thomasm » Tue Dec 22, 2020 6:12 pm

All devices won't "negotiate" the speed. A HUB will only connect it's ports at a fixed speed. However, a SWITCH does negotiate the speed. An inexpensive switch (under $50) can be placed between the cable modem and Ooma. It can communicate with the Telo at 100 Mb and communicate with the cable modem at a much faster speed. If the cable modem sends data to the Telo, the switch buffers the data or sends a "start/stop" protocol like XON/XOFF or uses the RTS/CTS (request to send/ clear to send) hardware interface.

Ah this discussion brings back memories of when I did IT support for a large cellular company years ago. There was always one challenge or another trying to get various devices to "talk" to each other. We often employed a switch known as a Cisco 1900. It had a 100 Mb input and many 10 Mb ports. Our laptops had 10 Mb cards and would be plugged into the 10 Mb ports. The server was connected to the 100 Mb port.

LouFromDetroit1

Post by LouFromDetroit1 » Mon Dec 28, 2020 9:34 am

I suggest you do your own test. Here was my result:

OOMA TELO in front of router: DL Speed Test = 50MB/sec
OOMA TELO behind router : DL Speed Test = 200MB/sec

I have XFINITY BLAST! with 200MB service and a Motorola SB6141 Modem (I own it)

YMMV - but the telo seems to be a bottle neck. I do not make enough calls to justify the speed loss - so I will keep OOMA behind the router for good.

murphy

Post by murphy » Mon Dec 28, 2020 10:19 am

The Telo supports 10/100 Mbps internet.
My Telo has always been behind my router since the rest of my network runs at 1 Gbps.
Nothing is connected to the Telo Home jack.