Porting number from Bell MTS

Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
ksmith
Porting number from Bell MTS

Post by ksmith » Wed Jan 23, 2019 7:56 pm

Has anyone ported a number from Bell MTS in Manitoba recently?

Based on the instructions on the porting page to call Bell MTS and request a 'stand-alone' or 'dry-loop' DSL, I called Bell MTS and asked them what I needed to do before porting my number to Ooma to make sure my DSL service was not impacted. They told me there was nothing to do and that the number port would be processed and there would be no impact to my DSL service.

Is this true?

ksmith

Re: Porting number from Bell MTS

Post by ksmith » Thu Jan 24, 2019 7:52 am

I called Bell MTS a second time just to get a different person to see if I got the same answer.

The answer was the same. There is nothing that needs to be done on the Bell MTS side before making the port request from Ooma. This person sound more knowledgeable. They said that when the port request comes in they will create a separate phone # to attach to the DSL service. They called it a "ghost number".

Based on this second conversation I will proceed with the port request.

ksmith

Post by ksmith » Sat Feb 02, 2019 8:55 am

Port request submitted: January 25
Port schedule date: Feb 1

On Feb 1, my DSL internet went out around 6:30 AM. I had to power cycle the DSL router and then my internet service was back working again. I assume this was a result of Bell MTS disconnecting my phone number from the DSL service.

By 4:00 PM the port was completed and I was receiving calls from my number on Ooma.

The only annoying part of the process was that Bell MTS sent people from their Loyalty team to my house TWICE to ask me why I was switching providers. This was very annoying and kind of creepy.

ksmith

Post by ksmith » Thu Feb 14, 2019 10:31 am

I also have TV service from Bell MTS. Right after the porting completed I noticed that my channel favorite lists had been removed. Annoying, but not a big deal to add them back.

A couple of days later I tried to watch a TV show I had recorded on my DVR. The show did not play. The show was still shown in the list of recordings, but when I tried to play it the screen was blank. I had this same problem with ANY shows recorded before I ported my number. I power cycled the DVR box and when it was rebooting it displayed a message something like "this DVR contains recordings that belong to another subscriber",

I guess that when they ported my number and assigned a new "ghost" number to my TV and DSL service it was just like a new account.