How long is too long for first time update to complete?

Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
Cienega32
How long is too long for first time update to complete?

Post by Cienega32 » Fri Feb 01, 2019 7:55 pm

In an attempt to leave 15 years of Vonage, I activated and setup my new Ooma Telo Air 2 (modem>router>Ooma) on Thursday at 6pm. It's now Friday at 8:30pm and it's still cycling thru a flashing purple light. Something tells me this is too long to finish... :o

It either flashes a string of one or two or three flashes before a short pause with no obvious flash count logic. Busy signal on phone.

Comcast ISP (150 down|10 up)
Motorola 7420 modem
ASUS AC1900 router.
Ooma on LAN port with reserved IP and present in network

Any advice for this situation or should I just take up knitting while I wait? :P

Cienega32

Re: How long is too long for first time update to complete?

Post by Cienega32 » Sat Feb 02, 2019 3:00 am

Deciding tho scrap the wait and see approach, accessed the device thru 'Home' setup page. Turns out it fails to "connect to Ooma network" and shows no info under "Ooma tunnel:"

Searching around the forum, I found that Ooma needs to "kick start my profile" as posted in one message from a few years back.

Guess I'll give them a call and find out what's up...

oostburg

Post by oostburg » Sat Feb 02, 2019 5:37 am

Sorry you are having this trouble. For what it is worth, I have been using Ooma for about 7 years and have been very satisfied. A few minor issues, but otherwise great low-cost service.

Cienega32

Post by Cienega32 » Sat Feb 02, 2019 2:57 pm

I'm sure I'll be satisfied with it too as soon as I can get this thing going. Too many good reviews to think otherwise.

murphy

Post by murphy » Sat Feb 02, 2019 4:26 pm

Does your router have an outbound firewall? If it does, turn it off to see if the Telo connects..
Customer since January 2009
Telo with 2 Handsets, a Linx, and a Safety Phone
Telo2 with 2 Handsets and a Linx

Cienega32

Post by Cienega32 » Wed Feb 06, 2019 2:03 am

OK - after spending Sunday doing the usuals - settings, etc and direct connect to modem after doing a factory reset to clear my changes. Nothing. Called Ooma and very nice young lady walked me thru exactly what I had done 2 or 3 times in connecting direct to modem. Lo and behold - a blue light finally. The only thing she said she did was cross her fingers. I told her I tried that too...

Anyway, pulling it all down and going thru router failed. Red flash. Back to modem direct and no blue. Factory reset, try again. Blue light. Watching the Rx stats in case I interrupted a download shows that I did. Let it run for 21.6M and settled. Back to the router setup. BLUE LIGHT! And a much higher firmware version.

Longer story short:
I assign IPs to the MACs in my LAN table and this didn't work well for me (Ooma DHCP on or off). No blue after a reboot of the device. Deleted the entry and it finds the blue every time.

HOWEVER: this device has such an incredible amount of echo it pretty much renders the service useless. All "VoIP Test" numbers are stellar with all green on all items (0.9 jitter 0 packet loss). One thing I noticed is that the max jitter numbers in the Ooma call logs can be over ten or under 4. All calls made by me and all had echo. SIG ALG disabled in router, upstream value changed to 4000 from 0, and any other thing I could think of, read about, had any epiphany about - no change to the echo in any way.

Ran it direct to modem and had the same amount of echo on calls to and from the Ooma temp number (ComCast ISP)

My only exposure to VoIP was 14 years of Vonage. They sent a LinkSys router, I set it in my network, plug a phone in and no problems at all and excellent call quality. I would like to have Ooma as my primary phone and ditch my Vonage (done) second number and my POTS number. The two combined was pushing $90 a month so I need this nice Ooma offering but with this echo? I can't see it.

Any tips that I haven't tried yet or should I call Ooma tech support?

Thanks for any info!

Cienega32

Post by Cienega32 » Wed Feb 13, 2019 7:28 am

Called tech support about my echo problem and again excellent service. She called me back on the temp number provided and it was a clean connect - no echo, no problems. Called a friend in NY (I'm in NM) and we had a nice trouble free conversation.

Apparently , my problem was with going in-house to my two-line standard phone. Line 2 isolated for Vonage use and never a problem so that's interesting. Anyway, (non-existent) problem solved and off to Ooma land I go with a smile.