Ooma and Spectrum cable modem problem?

Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
Tomb01
Ooma and Spectrum cable modem problem?

Post by Tomb01 » Fri Mar 22, 2019 6:54 pm

I have two Ooma's, one for my home office, and a new one that I was hoping to use as my home landline number. Shifted to Spectrum last fall, and at that point my office Ooma stopped working. I believe it has to do with Spectrum, as I am having some other connectivity issues.

With my 'new' Ooma, I can get it to connect if I plug it directly into my cable modem, but then the 'home' connection does not give my other devices internet connectivity. If I just connect the Ooma to my gigabit switch (like my other devices) it never connects to the internet. Red flashing symbol. Any suggestions?

I'd just shift away from Spectrum, but at this point the preferred new provider (Frontier Fios) is telling me they can't port my home number to their service...

Anyway, what could be preventing me from connecting through my home network to the internet with Ooma?

murphy

Re: Ooma and Spectrum cable modem problem?

Post by murphy » Sat Mar 23, 2019 1:14 am

Do you have the two Ooma devices in series? If you do you must log into one of them from the Home jack and change the default IP address of 172.27.35.1 to something else like 172.27.36.1. Two devices on the same network can't use the same IP address.
Customer since January 2009
Telo with 2 Handsets, a Linx, and a Safety Phone
Telo2 with 2 Handsets and a Linx

Tomb01

Post by Tomb01 » Sat Mar 23, 2019 3:51 am

No, one of them is not plugged in. Was doing one at a time. I have not 'logged in' to the Ooma, will do that and see what settings might be impeding connection. Is the Ooma IP address fixed or dhcp? If it is fixed, then that is probably what is keeping it from communicating with the internet on my home network.

murphy

Post by murphy » Sat Mar 23, 2019 4:09 am

The Ooma gets its IP address via DHCP. The Ooma is a router and issues IP addresses to whatever is connected to its Home jack. That is the IP address I am talking about.

Is the "Spectrum cable modem" a modem or a gateway?

A cable modem allows exactly one IP address unless you pay for more than one.
A gateway has a modem and a router in the same box. It could even be a wireless gateway. If its wireless it is definitely a gateway.

Tomb01

Post by Tomb01 » Tue Mar 26, 2019 8:01 am

My home network dhcp server is an Apple Time Capsule. I have a gigabit switch behind the Spectrum cable modem, the Spectrum modem is not serving addresses. When I put the Ooma Telo on my switch, it never connects to the internet. Was 'assuming' it would simply grab one of the available addresses from my existing DHCP server, but somehow that never seems to work. Today I tried putting it in front of my network, which worked initially, got it to connect as a phone, and got 100mbps to my home net (have 200mbps service, so this is not a long term option), but shortly thereafter it stopped connecting. Not sure I identified why... So, any troubleshooting suggestions for why the Ooma is not connecting through my switch to get an address? (or at least I 'assume' that may be the problem) Am heading out of town for a few days, but would really like to get this working so I can start the process of transferring my home number over...

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

murphy

Post by murphy » Tue Mar 26, 2019 9:19 am

Cable modems provide one and only one external IP address unless you have contracted with the ISP to get more than one. The next device behind a cable modem must be a router, not a switch. The router gets the single external IP address. It issues local IP address to the rest of the devices on the network. Put your switch behind the router.

adercole

Post by adercole » Fri May 05, 2023 4:30 pm

Wondering if you ever got a resolution to your problem. I had spectrum installed today and when I moved my home network over the the spectrum fiber modem, the telo would not provision. I think spectrum is blocking ports but after 5 hours on the phone they tell me they don't block any ports on their backbone. I have no problem with my att cell modem nor do I have problem with xfinity. Just spectrum.

adercole

Post by adercole » Sun May 07, 2023 1:17 pm

Tombi,

I have more data for you. I've been on the phone with spectrum customer support for hours. They are the most arrogant people to deal with who just keep giving reason where they don't have a problem. They will tell you their system doesn't block ports, but it does. When I told them I ran a port scan interfacing directly to the modem, without any router inline and I have data to show them that they are blocking both UDP and TCP packets on about 20 different ports; they start telling me that they have the most sophisticated network yada yada yada.

I have a ticket opened with Ooma tech support who is going to have engineering contact me tomorrow. I asked if there is a software update to the telo to address this. You and I cant be the other people having issues with Spectrum.

When I get more data, I'll report back.

adercole

Post by adercole » Sat May 20, 2023 5:52 am

The spectrum backbone blocks a lot of ports. Some of the ports that Spectrum blocks will not allow the telo to provision.
I tried for days to work this problem with spectrum customer dis-service and tech un-support. Tech support kept insisting that they don't block ports and when I offered to send them the data, the back pedalling was comical. Spectrum is not organized to help with this type of problem. Because of the their arrogance, I dumped spectrum. I decided to stick with my cell modem and wait until I can get a descent 5G signal out in the sticks. Now I'm running 4G and it everything works, its just slow.

After I cancelled and took my modem back, spectrum called me and asked if there was anything they could do to win me back as a customer. I said sure, let me talk to a network engineer and explain the problem. I'm still waiting for the call that will never come....

UserXYZA

Post by UserXYZA » Sun Aug 06, 2023 4:17 am

Wondering if anyone has any more information on resolutions for this. I just installed a new, higher-speed Spectrum modem made by Hitron, and now neither of my Ooma Telos is able to connect.