Why does Porting take so long?

Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
Rmonio
Why does Porting take so long?

Post by Rmonio » Mon Jun 10, 2019 2:25 pm

Just curious.

Cell carriers can port quickly between their systems - but why does it take so long to do a Port between a regional phone company and OOMA?

I'm into my 3rd week - so I was expecting to see some progress eventually. We're excited to get things on the new system as my tests went very well.

Thanks!

-Bob

Rmonio

Re: Why does Porting take so long?

Post by Rmonio » Wed Jun 19, 2019 2:04 pm

I've been working with my local phone company and OOMA to work out my Port. Needless to say, this has been a frustrating experience as neither seems to have an update or do they have the same stories.

Example: Local phone company (Nuvera) says they will only respond to port requests from Envoy and have not heard from OOMA. Meanwhile, OOMA did come back to me for a copy of my phone bill based on "response" from the phone company - which they then did submit again. I've called to confirm with both what is happening (been another 2 weeks now) and there is no update.

Has anyone else experienced this kind of turnaround? I realize the local phone company doesn't want to lose me as a customer (they aren't - we still use them for DSL) and their rep was trying to talk me out of it. But I would expect the process to be a bit more succinct than it is.

If I can't get the number ported, then I will have to return the OOMA to Costco and cancel the premier charge on my credit card. I don't want to do it, but until I can find a better way to deal with this port then I'm stuck.

Thoughts anyone?

Thanks!

-Bob :x

Stuff

Post by Stuff » Sat Jun 22, 2019 6:18 am

Ooma stated it could take 4 weeks for mine but it only took 2 business days to port from Verizon.

Your state public utilities commission or equivalent regulates this. Contact your local state rep to see if they can help give Nuvera a prod.

Rmonio

Post by Rmonio » Sun Jun 23, 2019 12:12 pm

Thanks for the feedback.

My local phone company was purchased some time ago and apparently the phone numbers were still listed under the old company name which Envoy (who does the work for OOMA) still had the listing for.

I've chased it down between the two and the local phone company has given me information to provide to OOMA and Envoy - so I expect we'll get this turned around this week and scheduled.

How do you like your OOMA service?

Thanks!

-Bob

Stuff

Post by Stuff » Mon Jun 24, 2019 11:33 am

So far all of the features seem to work as advertised. Call quality is not as good as with my land line but good enough for most things. I had one conference call that I switched to my cell phone so my coworkers could hear me better (said I was garbled) but to be truthful that happened with land line sometimes.

Just got some HD3 handsets today. Feed a step down from my old Panasonic but again, good enough to get the job done.

Rmonio

Post by Rmonio » Thu Jun 27, 2019 7:11 pm

My port was completed today and my system is now up and running. So far, so good. I’ve noticed that the volume is higher on my phones than it was with the old telco feed - I suspect this is because the line strength is better.

I’ll post more updates as I go. Onward we go!