Installation Help!! New Problems Page 2

Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
MMeyer
Re: Installation Help!! New Problems

Post by MMeyer » Sun Aug 16, 2009 12:29 am

Thanks for the welcome everyone.

Well I have some new problems to hammer out

Setup modem--ooma---router
ooma = static ip (set up with temp number)
router (linksys wrt150n)= automatic dhcp
Everything is connected and working (kind of)

Checked and made sure the phones worked on the ooma system and then disconnected them until my number is ported.

When it is ported over my setup will be as follows.
ooma hub in basement where my wiring is centralized.

modem--ooma--router
*The phone port with be wired into a cat5e patch panel to give access to 2 satillite receivers and a fax.
*The wall port will also be wired to the patch panel (different ports) to run the scout upstairs on our main phone.

Now on to the problems (modem--ooma--router no phones hooked up)

*The speed on my wireless connection has went from 3mbps to .5-1mbps, but doesn't lose internet connection.
*Connection on my Desktop (wired) has not show any speed loss but, can't access the internet after 5-10min. Then I have to restart and the circle starts again.
*Connection on the network between Vista media center (desktop) and the Xbox 360 is very slow or non responsive. (checked with network tuner)

I took ooma out of the scenario and everything is working great again.
There must be a conflict that I just can't put my finger on. Possibly some settings I missed in the ooma hub or conflicts in the router???

Thanks for the Help
Matt

mthomtech

Re: Installation Help!! New Problems Page 2

Post by mthomtech » Mon Aug 17, 2009 6:07 pm

I know this doesn't specifically answer your question, but have you tried setting it up as modem - router - ooma (parallel with other components hooked to your router)?

Unless you really need the QoS from the ooma hub, that setup should work for you. I know there's probably several people here that have done troubleshooting different setups. My bandwidth was large enough where I didn't really need the QoS features of the hub. If you can't get your original setup to work, I'd try this alternate setup and see if your internet speed and call quality is good.

Another idea for you. I have a similar setup where I was using the hub for the fax and some phones, and have a few scouts for other phones (and voicemail screening in different locations). You can use a splitter (kind of in reverse) to connect both the phone and wall ports of your hub to the house wiring. That way you can do either a phone (from the hub) or a scout on any of your house jacks that are part of your wiring.
Ooma Customer since March 2009
Ooma Hardware: Hub/Scout(2) and Telo
Premier Member

MMeyer

Post by MMeyer » Mon Aug 17, 2009 9:32 pm

Thanks for the help.

I hooked everything back up and it seems to be working very well. I think I had a bad cat5 cable in the mix.

mthomtech

Post by mthomtech » Mon Aug 17, 2009 9:47 pm

That's good! Let us know if you have any other problems.

You'll love the ooma system. I had vonage prior to ooma, and I definitely prefer ooma. Vonage wasn't bad, but ooma is a step ahead.
Ooma Customer since March 2009
Ooma Hardware: Hub/Scout(2) and Telo
Premier Member