Telo setup with alarm panel (Concord 4)

Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
arc2v
Telo setup with alarm panel (Concord 4)

Post by arc2v » Mon Jul 29, 2019 4:33 pm

Having an odd difficulty installing with my alarm panel.

Got the Fios phone unplugged and in the back of the Telo, setup went well. Put it in alarm mode, got the normal dial tone (so all seemed well). Phone dialed fine, sound quality was good.

Went to test alarm. It dialed the number and the calls were 13 to 19 seconds, but it just kept redialing. About 7 to 10 calls per test attempt. Alarm panel says it failed, alarm company webpage shows at least one "test initiated". So the calls went through, some data got transferred, but not enough to call it a success. Best I can figure, the call gets corrupted.

Any settings to try in addition to the "alarm mode"?

Any router or QoS I should try? I have 100/100 Fios, so bandwidth shouldn't be the problem.

What about the *90 or similar codes? Are those even necessary with the "alarm mode" enabled?

Thanks for any help.

arc2v

Re: Telo setup with alarm panel (Concord 4)

Post by arc2v » Tue Jul 30, 2019 2:35 pm

Still no luck. I moved the Telo right next to the panel and made a quick adapter to put the alarm straight in. Did the test and got similar results. First call lasted 40 seconds, but did not "succeed" and showed up on my alarm website as a successful test (but the panel registered an error). It tried again alter a few times and only had 16 second attempts and hangups and another 42 second call, but no success.

So the building wiring seems okay but it's just not getting data through properly. More to the point, it looks like it isn't getting data from the call center to verify and disconnect (the test usually takes about 20 seconds).

I'll keep plugging at it, but if I can't get this to work, I may have to return it. No point dropping fios now if I have to get a $200 LTE radio and pay $8 extra/mo for cell monitoring. That's almost 3 years to break even with the Premier service.

arc2v

Post by arc2v » Wed Jul 31, 2019 4:55 am

Might have had a success. Not celebrating until several successes in a row, but . . .

I logged into the Telo and changed the upload bandwidth to max (10000) and disabled the dect radio. I have Panasonic dect phones and didn't want any interference. I know, I should have changed one at a time, but the phone test worked. 17 second call, no redials, panel seems happy, call center got the message.

I'll test once a day and do actual alarm tests (to make sure the right door/fire gets reported) this week before declaring victory.

arc2v

Post by arc2v » Tue Aug 27, 2019 4:19 pm

Ended up going with an ABN, which is essentially a VOIP box just for the alarm, but it works because it simulates the call answer, gets the data and just sends that to the alarm company. That seems to be working great. Only bad thing is that the ABN is specific to just one alarm company, so if I ever change, I need to buy a different product.

Rest of the Ooma functions seem to be working fine and we are about to port our number.