My ADT home alarm system and OOMA!

Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
nychotxxx
My ADT home alarm system and OOMA!

Post by nychotxxx » Mon Aug 26, 2019 12:33 pm

Having cut the cord with my landline phone company and gone the VOIP OOMA route, I had to make a decision about my home security system that I've had for years with ADT, that needed a landline. Called ADT they will install a box that uses my cell phone. The box and installation: $169, and no monthly charge and all the ADT security equipment in the house continues to work, no need to buy a kit of new stuff. Seems like a good deal, or am I missing something.

murphy

Re: My ADT home alarm system and OOMA!

Post by murphy » Mon Aug 26, 2019 3:36 pm

What happens when you leave the house and take your cell phone with you?

The normal method is to connect a cell phone transceiver to the alarm system but there is a monthly cell phone bill for that.

The alarm system can be connected to the Telo phone jack and no where else. House phone service comes from the alarm system output jack. The Telo must be configured for alarm mode for it to work.

I'm assuming that you have high speed internet service.
Customer since January 2009
Telo with 2 Handsets, a Linx, and a Safety Phone
Telo2 with 2 Handsets and a Linx

nychotxxx

Post by nychotxxx » Mon Aug 26, 2019 7:28 pm

We'll see what happens when the installer comes tomorrow. I was told that the device is attached to where the security system box is in the basement. I cant imagine the actual cell phone has to be at home. (We have two cell phones) the box dials out to the cell towers in the area, I was told. Since I have cell phone service, there's no extra monthly charge, I was told.

nychotxxx

Post by nychotxxx » Tue Aug 27, 2019 11:18 am

ADT and OOMA was a very simple set up basically. He had to find good cell service in the house (basement and two floors and attic) . Finally hooked up the device in the attic, made a couple of programming changes to our two keypads, and that was it. Took a couple hours. I can turn on alarm mode when we leave the house, or overnight, and i can turn it off when I want. Easy-peazy. I still might want it working with the linx rather than the telo, once I get some straight answers regarding how to properly do it.