Ooma Porting from Comcast

Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
bbgarnett
Re: Ooma Porting from Comcast

Post by bbgarnett » Thu Dec 19, 2019 5:29 am

Hey, so does it just automatically make the ported number a 2nd number when you port over? When I moved to ooma back in 2010/11 I don't remember it doing that for me but maybe it did. I was just thinking that once the port was complete it would automatically replace that temporary number with your old number and leave you with only one number which would be the ported over one, but maybe it doesn't.

TonyW

Post by TonyW » Thu Dec 19, 2019 5:42 am

The 'official' word is:

https://support.ooma.com/home/porting-y ... r-to-ooma/

"What happens to my temporary number after my number has been ported to Ooma?

Once your number has been successfully ported to Ooma, it will replace your temporary number as the default phone number for your Ooma account. Your temporary number will be released back into the pool of available numbers. If you would like to keep your temporary number permanently, you can contact Customer Care by emailing loa@ooma.com at any time during the number porting process to request that your temporary number be assigned as a virtual number on your account.

Note: Adding a second phone number to your account requires an active subscription to Ooma Premier."

I still don't recall this being the case back in 2014, but I'm certain that if I wanted to insure I'd keep the ported #, I'd follow up despite the assurance of a support article, or what I THINK SHOULD happen.

Trust, but verify!!! :D

bbgarnett

Post by bbgarnett » Thu Dec 19, 2019 6:05 am

Hey OK thanks, also after port is complete his old number should be working correctly even though I set on Comcast to forward to that temp number? Since Comcast is now out of the picture or has assigned a new number on there end right, It will stop forwarding calls to the temp as his ported number is now out of there system.

Thanks again for your replies.

TonyW

Post by TonyW » Thu Dec 19, 2019 6:12 am

My reasoning (& experience) is that once the # is no longer in the Comcast system, the 'forward' request will just cease to be & all calls will come through Ooma.... no additional changes necessary. Remember, the whole point of this exercise was to set up the hardware once, without a need to travel again once the port was complete. The follow-up phone call was (ultimately) just insurance.

Merry Christmas!
Last edited by TonyW on Thu Dec 19, 2019 6:29 am, edited 2 times in total.

bbgarnett

Post by bbgarnett » Thu Dec 19, 2019 6:19 am

Thank you very much it has been much appreciated.

bbgarnett

Post by bbgarnett » Fri Jan 24, 2020 3:23 pm

Hello, so went back over there and started to try and get things setup, only to find out that his Ooma device had already been activated and was in an invalid state. So I called ooma and got it so I could activate it and I set it up and picked a temporary number. We did not do any porting yet and still left his Comcast as is since he had to leave early. Anyways I found out that he actually does have a few landline phones so his whole basement and garage have hard wired devices but upstairs is wireless so he would actually prefer if we could power all the jacks in his house through ooma. So I told him that we would have to go outside and disconnect any lines coming into the house. He asked if we didn't do that would there be any issues and I said yes there is a higher potential for electrical fire and shock etc basically read whatever ooma wrote. To me he sort hinted and being OK with risking it and not disconnecting anything from the outside, but I said I'm not comfortable doing that. Either way we did just give it a try without disconnecting anything outside and it did work so dial tone and was able to make/receive a call. We then just said we'll leave you with Comcast for now since he had to leave and will come back and next time and disconnect things to be safe. He also has a Fax machine that if it can work great if not then not a huge loss. I think I read you can just use an phone splitter and plug that into the ooma and then plug the phone/Fax into that.