Wiring Ooma into patch panel

Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
JonBru
Wiring Ooma into patch panel

Post by JonBru » Thu Nov 14, 2019 6:34 am

I have a first generation Ooma box. I built a new house and ran multiple cat6 lines to each room. I have about 50 lines. I was planning to use a patch to organize all the lines. How do I get Ooma to work with the patch. I’d like to plug the Ooma box into the patch so that I can plug phones into other cat6 jacks around the house. Anytime know how to do this? Do I need to get a smaller patch just dedicated to Ooma and the cat6 jacks I want to use for phones?

Stelcom66

Re: Wiring Ooma into patch panel

Post by Stelcom66 » Mon Nov 18, 2019 2:12 pm

To save some money I'd recommend buying several (number of phones + 1) RJ11 jacks and line cords at a dollar/discount store. Mount those close to the patch panel and parallel all of the tip and ring (all greens together and all reds together) screw terminals. One of those jacks will connect to the Telo. Connect the line cords to the jacks, then to the jacks on the patch panel where phones will be. Sometimes with certain brands the RJ11 plug may not be perfectly centered in the Cat6 jack so pins 4 & 5 are connected to the line cord, you may need to re position the cord into the Cat6 jack. To prevent that possibility, you could cut the RJ11 ends off and crimp on RJ45s on one end, but then there's time and expense of the plugs and a crimping tool.

I did a patch panel recently using RJ11 line cords from a Cat3 patch panel from a PBX to a Cat6 patch panel without any trouble.