Static IP address

Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
colovin
Static IP address

Post by colovin » Tue Nov 26, 2019 2:28 pm

I'd like to setup a static IP for my Ooma Hub. It is currently connected to the router. Can I connect it between the modem and the router, then go to http://172.27.35.1/ set the IP and then put it back behind the router? Or does it have to stay between the modem and the router for the static IP to work? I'm thinking that it should work behind the router once setup but wanted to check to make sure. Thanks

murphy

Re: Static IP address

Post by murphy » Tue Nov 26, 2019 4:23 pm

If you put the hub in front of the router the only way it could have a static IP is if your ISP issues you a static IP. That would be very unlikely and if they did do it they would charge extra for the static IP address.

With the hub behind the router you can set up a static IP if you want as long as you also set up the rest of the requirements.

A better approach is to configure the router to issue an IP address based on the MAC address of the hub. This has various names but is usually called a reserved IP address. If by hub you mean the old white box with the big square push buttons, the MAC address of the "to internet" port is one higher than the MAC address on the label. The one on the label is the MAC address of the "Home" port.

My entire network is configured in the router using the MAC address of every device on the network.
Customer since January 2009
Telo with 2 Handsets, a Linx, and a Safety Phone
Telo2 with 2 Handsets and a Linx

colovin

Post by colovin » Tue Nov 26, 2019 9:14 pm

Thanks for the reply. I haven't found a way to log on to the hub behind the router. This article on "accessing your device setting" https://support.ooma.com/home/accessing ... s/#network

Makes it sound like you have to have the hub in front of the router to get to the manual IP setting. I am thinking that once you set the static IP you could move the hub back behind the router. I only have 64 reserve address available so anything that I can set as a static IP, I want to. Reserve lives in the DHCP zone so I have it set at 50 to 200 leaving the bottom 50 and the top 50 for static IP's where Tvs, DVD players, IP cameras and the like live. I also have an Obi phone adapter that I was able to set an IP for. That leaves the reserves open for devices that can't be set. Believe it or not the Dish Hopper only has DHCP. I don't want the hub between the modem and router permanentlly it works just fine connected to the router.

murphy

Post by murphy » Wed Nov 27, 2019 2:51 am

Connect any computer to the Home port on the Hub. If the computer has wireless capability, disable it.
The computer must be set to get its IP address via DHCP.
Connect to 172.27.35.1 to reach the built-in web server.
Customer since January 2009
Telo with 2 Handsets, a Linx, and a Safety Phone
Telo2 with 2 Handsets and a Linx

colovin

Post by colovin » Wed Nov 27, 2019 2:54 pm

That worked!! Thanks for the info. The world is now a better place. :-)