Calls consistently dropped

Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
flmaxey
Calls consistently dropped

Post by flmaxey » Tue Jan 07, 2020 10:22 am

I've installed and have been testing the Ooma router for a few weeks.
The Ooma installed behind two routers. The first router is ISP provided and the second router, behind it, is mine.

The Ooma came on-line without an issue but in calls that last longer than 20 minutes, maybe a bit longer, the Ooma resets with a blinking red light. The delay, before it's available again, is a few minutes.

I've changed the Ooma to hardwired ethernet, gave it a static IP address, tested the speed of the connection (about 1mbs up and 10mbs down), deactivated the DECT radio and bluetooth. I've reserved QOS bandwidth for the Ooma (768K wan up, 2mbs wan down).

So far I've found nothing on this forum that explains this. It's almost as if there's an enforced call length limit but my wife's calls are nothing out of the realm of what would happen in the average household.

**Of note is that I'm using a Magic Jack and it has no problem with this network topology, and the same exact network equipment items.**

andyross

Re: Calls consistently dropped

Post by andyross » Wed Jan 08, 2020 6:49 am

By behind two routers, is the ISP router just a plain modem, or is it a gateway in 'bridge' mode? Going through two routers can cause double-NAT, which has all sorts of weird side effects.

flmaxey

Post by flmaxey » Sat Jan 11, 2020 1:03 pm

This problem is solved. There's something about putting the Ooma router behind two routers that wasn't working.

The first Router is a Comtrend VR-3033 provided by my ISP.
The second is TP-Link TL-WR841ND v8, flashed with an older DD-WRT firmware.

After I put the Ooma behind the Comtrend VR-3033, using wireless (and bypassing the TP-Link), it's functioning normally.

Thanks and Regards

murphy

Post by murphy » Sat Jan 11, 2020 2:17 pm

If you put routers in series they must have different IP address ranges. The default for many routers is 192.168.1.1. If that is the address of the first router then the second must have a range where the third digit is different, for example 192.168.2.1.
The Telo is 172.27.35.1 by default.
Customer since January 2009
Telo with 2 Handsets, a Linx, and a Safety Phone
Telo2 with 2 Handsets and a Linx

andyross

Post by andyross » Sun Jan 12, 2020 7:40 am

Again, as mentioned, going through 2 routers involves double-NAT. Your first router converts your IP to local, then your second router is further converting to another internal IP. The OOMA uses a VPN tunnel, which doesn't like double-NAT.
https://kb.netgear.com/30186/What-is-Double-NAT

flmaxey

Post by flmaxey » Fri Jan 17, 2020 7:05 am

As a follow up, I'd like to thank @andyross and @murphy for their replies. Frankly, I wasn't expecting quick responses.
(And both routers have different IP ranges. The ISP uses a 10.x.x.x/24 network and I'm using 192.168.x.x/24)

In any case, the Ooma still drops a call on a rare occasion but that may not have anything to do with the device, or even how it's connected (behind the ISP router). Network conditions where I am, at the edge of wilderness, are not ideal. It's all single thread, with no parallel or round robin paths, so occasional network saturation is to be expected.

If someone knows the destination host name(s) or IP addresses, where the VPN tunnel terminates on Ooma's end, that info would be appreciated. (I can use it for additional testing.)

Thanks for the assistance and the info.

Regards