Scout and Landline at the same time

Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
kevinbradshaw
Scout and Landline at the same time

Post by kevinbradshaw » Mon Nov 10, 2008 10:28 am

I'm a new ooma user (about 3 hours now). so far i love the system (and the $$ savings), but i'm slightly skeptical, so i don't want to let go of my landline just yet. but if (when) i decide that ooma is the right choice for us, i plan on completely ditching the landline. until i make that decision, i would like to keep my landline on one phone, and then hook another phone up to the Hub - but i would like to test out the Scout as well.

here's my question:

can i use the wiring in my house to test out the Scout, even though my landline is still active on my house wiring? is there any chance of damaging equipment? or maybe just static or interference on one or both lines?

thanks,

Kevin

trim81

Re: Scout and Landline at the same time

Post by trim81 » Mon Nov 10, 2008 11:38 am

kevinbradshaw wrote:I'm a new ooma user (about 3 hours now). so far i love the system (and the $$ savings), but i'm slightly skeptical, so i don't want to let go of my landline just yet. but if (when) i decide that ooma is the right choice for us, i plan on completely ditching the landline. until i make that decision, i would like to keep my landline on one phone, and then hook another phone up to the Hub - but i would like to test out the Scout as well.

here's my question:

can i use the wiring in my house to test out the Scout, even though my landline is still active on my house wiring? is there any chance of damaging equipment? or maybe just static or interference on one or both lines?

thanks,

Kevin

You cannot have a POTS line (landline) connected to either a Hub or Scout, it might fry the unit.

Best case for your scenario is to connect the black and yellow line 3 +4 (as opposed to red and green ring/tip wires) for the hookup

Dennis P
Ooma Moderator

Post by Dennis P » Thu Nov 20, 2008 12:32 am

The Scout will *not* by affected by your landline, so feel free to plug it in. The Hub and Scout speak to each other at frequencies above voice and DSL, and are designed to coexist with both without interference.

trim81

Post by trim81 » Thu Nov 20, 2008 1:03 am

Dennis P wrote:The Scout will *not* by affected by your landline, so feel free to plug it in. The Hub and Scout speak to each other at frequencies above voice and DSL, and is designed to coexist with both without interference.

I stand corrected. My bad.

Typical ATAs will be damaged, I guess Ooma runs off diff frequencies as Dennis pointed out. -good to know.