Intermittent Fast Busy

Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
gwarnick
Intermittent Fast Busy

Post by gwarnick » Thu May 28, 2020 1:45 pm

Hi All:

I'm perplexed and I hope you have some ideas since I'm out of them.

A neighbor and I have the exact same configuration albeit with different hardware:
Cable internet == > Modem ==> Router ==> Telo ==> RJ11 into house wiring. From there, there are 2 cordless telephones base stations plugged into the house wiring, with 2 more satellite cordless stations just plugged into the wall for power.

Mine works flawlessly. Hers, not so much. Intermittently, 2-3 times per day it seems, when you pick up the phone,it will be fast busy like a phone is off the hook. Resetting the telo fixes the problem but I don't think it's a problem with the telo because I've swapped with mine and the problem still exists. Here's what I've done. Swapped telos, swapped routers, swapped all of the cordless phones with mine. It still does it. I'm at the point of assuming it's a problem with the house wiring, but not sure how to confirm it. Any ideas?

TIA
Greg

murphy

Re: Intermittent Fast Busy

Post by murphy » Thu May 28, 2020 3:23 pm

Was the landline phone company disconnected from her house? That is an absolute requirement.
Customer since January 2009
Telo with 2 Handsets, a Linx, and a Safety Phone
Telo2 with 2 Handsets and a Linx

gwarnick

Post by gwarnick » Thu May 28, 2020 3:34 pm

yes - i forgot to say we've had OOMA or a few years. We've had the problem fr a while, but it's getting worse.

murphy

Post by murphy » Fri May 29, 2020 2:09 am

Disconnect the Telo from the house wiring and connect a single phone or cordless phone base to the Telo. If the problem still exists it is not the house wiring. If the problem goes away it is the house wiring.

gwarnick

Post by gwarnick » Fri May 29, 2020 2:31 am

I will try today. Thanks for the suggestion.

gwarnick

Post by gwarnick » Mon Jun 01, 2020 3:01 am

2 days in and we've not had a failure. It seems it may have been some fault with the internal wiring. Thanks!

murphy

Post by murphy » Mon Jun 01, 2020 7:20 am

Now that the house wiring is supposed to be disconnected see if there is any voltage on the house wires.
If none measure the resistance between the wires. If no phones are plugged into the house it should read infinity.
If there is voltage on the house wires you need to find where it is coming from and disconnect whatever is causing it.
The old land line company must be disconnected. If the house was converted to use a cable company phone line, their box must also be disconnected from the house wiring.

gwarnick

Post by gwarnick » Tue Jun 09, 2020 5:24 am

Thanks for your help. 9 days in and no failures.