Home gateway for Comcast internet

Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
sreyar
Home gateway for Comcast internet

Post by sreyar » Thu Sep 10, 2020 10:10 am

We're moving into a new house and I plan to cancel my buggy AT&T internet and go with Comcast instead. I would like to buy my own modem/router instead of renting equipment from Comcast, so I am looking for a gateway that will be compatible with both Xfinity 100mps internet and Ooma. I have seen several gateways with phone ports, but they all are reportedly compatible only with Xfinity voice, which I don't plan to use. Are there any affordable gateways out there with non-proprietary ports for VOIP?

murphy

Re: Home gateway for Comcast internet

Post by murphy » Thu Sep 10, 2020 10:33 am

I prefer a separate modem and router instead of a gateway. I am on Comcast.
I have an Arris model SB6190 modem. Arris used to be part of Motorola.
I have a Linksys model EA9500 router. I can't recommend the router. The built-in speed test has never worked and they have not fixed it in spite of my complaints. It has also started rebooting on its own periodically. My programming background makes me think it has a memory leak. IMHO they have gone down hill since Belden bought them. I do have over 70 devices on line so I may be exceeding what they expected it to be used for.

I have two Telos connected to the router.
Customer since January 2009
Telo with 2 Handsets, a Linx, and a Safety Phone
Telo2 with 2 Handsets and a Linx

sreyar

Post by sreyar » Thu Sep 10, 2020 11:09 am

Murphy, thanks for your response. What's the advantage of having two separate boxes instead of a 2-in-1 gateway? We're pretty vanilla in terms of devices and speed -- no networked home, no kids, not gamers or traders; we only have a couple of TVs and phones, and stream TV and Zoom/webex calls for work. The line into the house is in the basement and we planned to put the box(es) there.

murphy

Post by murphy » Thu Sep 10, 2020 12:06 pm

Gateways are almost always made for a cable provider. They have complete access to them. The proliferation of Comcast hot spots are actually provided by home gateways that the home owner has no control of. Free electricity for Comcast.

I want a router that I have total control of.

Comcast already had their database of user names and passwords compromised. I started getting emails telling me they had my password and total access to my computer. They gave me 24 hours to pay them in bitcoin or they would ruin my reputation. What they had was an old password that was real but was no longer in use. I got the exact same email from a dozen different "people". I didn't pay anyone anything and the emails eventually stopped. I don't want anyone that can't secure their customer's data to have access to my router.
Customer since January 2009
Telo with 2 Handsets, a Linx, and a Safety Phone
Telo2 with 2 Handsets and a Linx

sreyar

Post by sreyar » Thu Sep 10, 2020 2:46 pm

Excellent explanation -- i get it. Learned something new today. Thanks!