Phone

Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
Skostro
Phone

Post by Skostro » Tue Dec 29, 2020 8:23 am

New user
I want for all my landline phones in the house to work with my Ooma telo. I’ve checked out the directions online, and I can disconnect phone line on outside box, not a problem. I have a corded phone in the same room as my computer, which goes to the wall jack. The Ooma directions say the Ooma device gets plugged into the wall jack. So,,,,,, where does my phone jack get plugged into? There’s only one phone jack on the Ooma.
I hope all this makes some sense.
Thanks

murphy

Re: Phone

Post by murphy » Tue Dec 29, 2020 10:45 am

You need a line splitter that plugs into the Telo and provides two places to plug in. In 2009 one came with my Hub (came before the Telo). I don't know if they still supply one.

If your old phones are really old and have real bells that can be a problem. The Telo supports 5 REN (ringer equivalence number). Modern phones have electronic ringers and have a REN in the 0.1 range. Ancient phones with real bells can have a REN in the 1, 2 or 3 range. If the label on the phone doesn't specify the REN, you will probably have trouble with phones not ringing.
Customer since January 2009
Telo with 2 Handsets, a Linx, and a Safety Phone
Telo2 with 2 Handsets and a Linx

Skostro

Post by Skostro » Tue Dec 29, 2020 10:52 am

So you are saying the line splitter goes into the Ooma device, not the wall phone outlet plug?

murphy

Post by murphy » Tue Dec 29, 2020 12:58 pm

Either location will work.
Customer since January 2009
Telo with 2 Handsets, a Linx, and a Safety Phone
Telo2 with 2 Handsets and a Linx