Can I connect my landline to ooma?

Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
Can I connect my landline to ooma?

Post by 9252656695 » Thu Feb 04, 2021 1:46 pm

I am a new ooma user and was planning to port my current analog landline number to ooma. However I was reading that ooma requires that once the porting is complete I need to "disconnect" my external landline connection outside my house that goes to my phone company "before" connecting my landline to my ooma device. So basically it sounds like they want my phone to be 100% VOIP with no landline connection or backup option? The script goes on to say it will void my warranty if I try to connect my landline to my ooma device without first physically disconnecting my landline from the phone company? Has anyone connected their landline directly to ooma without disconnecting it from the line of demarcation box the phone company uses to connect phone services to the house? This assumes the end user knows how to access their phone line box and disconnect the right wires...seems like a lot to expect from a non-technical user.

thx
Steve

murphy

Re: Can I connect my landline to ooma?

Post by murphy » Thu Feb 04, 2021 4:48 pm

The original Hub, around 2008, could be connected to a landline.
It has been unavailable since 2010.
The Telo can not be connected to a landline. The voltages on a landline, 48 volts DC and 96 volts AC for ring voltage would destroy a Telo.
Connect a multi-handset cordless phone to the phone jack on the Telo.
There is no need to use the phone wiring in the walls at all.
If you must then the phone company feed MUST be disconnected.
Customer since January 2009
Telo with 2 Handsets, a Linx, and a Safety Phone
Telo2 with 2 Handsets and a Linx

Post by 9252656695 » Sat Feb 06, 2021 5:17 pm

Thank you for the clarification! So the key is to connect my phone base directly to ooma and not use a wired phone jack outlet of any kind. 100% VOIP.

Thanks
Steve

murphy

Post by murphy » Sun Feb 07, 2021 3:10 am

The house wiring can be used.
Before that can be done the wiring from the landline phone company MUST be disconnected from the house.
There is an exception to that but unless you are an electrician you are unlikely to get it right.
Under no circumstances can a landline and a Telo be connected to the same circuit.

larryk

Post by larryk » Sun Feb 07, 2021 9:10 am

To disconnect your land line from the Telco equip is easy, there is usually a plug in the demark (the box outside of your house), just unplug it, close the box and then plug in your Ooma to your inside jack. Now, all of your inside jacks are live from the Ooma box.

murphy

Post by murphy » Sun Feb 07, 2021 9:48 am

It depends on the age of the house. My house, built in 1957, did not have a demarc box. It had two lightning arrestors on a beam in the basement for two cables that came in underground.

It now has a demarc box but it is on the same beam in the basement because the cables enter the house underground.