New Installation - Unable to setup Google Voice Extension

Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
rmarin2
New Installation - Unable to setup Google Voice Extension

Post by rmarin2 » Sat Feb 06, 2021 6:11 pm

So I just setup my service and inbound/outbound calling is fine. However, I'm unable to setup my Google Voice Extension.
When I choose the virtual number and select ADD GOOGLE VOICE NUMBER, I get the error "PROBLEM SENDING VERIFICATION CODE TO YOUR GOOGLE VOICE NUMBER, PLEASE VERIFY YOU ENTERED THE CORRECT NUMBER".

This is quite frustrating as the google voice integration was the main reason for activating service.

Anyone experience this before??

-Rich

a2doxkc

Re: New Installation - Unable to setup Google Voice Extension

Post by a2doxkc » Mon Feb 08, 2021 5:44 pm

I've been having the exact same problem, and have talked with tech support a few times about the issue, which keeps getting escalated to the next level. The last conversation I had indicated that they have been unable to get it to work either, and my ticket has been escalated to the next level. I was told I'd get an email when they found a fix. I'm hoping they find one soon, as I'd really like my Google Voice number as my caller ID.

vmk364wx

Post by vmk364wx » Tue Feb 09, 2021 11:40 am

Same issue for me. Would appreciate an update here when you get more info.

rmarin2

Post by rmarin2 » Thu Feb 11, 2021 11:40 am

@a2doxkc - how long have you been having the issue?

vmk364wx

Post by vmk364wx » Thu Feb 11, 2021 12:10 pm

I talked with support. They were cordial but not helpful. They essentially walked me through the document, https://support.ooma.com/home/google-voice-extensions which I had referenced to them before they started walking me through it.

Still no progress for getting GV extensions enabled.

Mike

rmarin2

Post by rmarin2 » Thu Feb 11, 2021 1:16 pm

Same here... level 1 support basically asked the obvious questions and gave me the support doc as well.

I've spoken to folks in advanced support and they tried to manually add my gv # but for whatever reason they couldn't. They say its a known issue but they don't have an ETA.

I called the other day to cancel my service and was routed to a sales associate who basically told me she was going to escalate my issue. They offered me a refund on my premium service. Since I have about a week or so left before I can return the unit to Amazon for a full refund, I told them they have a week to resolve it before I call back and cancel.

It's a shame, inbound/outbound calling seems to work fine and the quality is fine - not being able to use my gv # is a deal breaker for me. I got the bundled set with the handets and so far they seem to be decent quality (although reviews about speakerphone quality are true, not exactly the best).

rmarin2

Post by rmarin2 » Fri Feb 19, 2021 12:23 pm

UPDATE: SOLVED

So I received an email from support today advising that the issue has been fixed and to try again. I wasn't told what exactly the problem was, but confirmed it's working now.

I was able to enter my GV # under Google Voice Extensions and the verification message went through this time. Entered the code and it registered the # on my Ooma account. I setup the call forwarding to my Ooma Virtual number on GV and now inbound/outbound dialing works with my GV # as my outbound calling ID. Voicemail seems to be working fine as well.

a2doxkc

Post by a2doxkc » Fri Feb 19, 2021 12:45 pm

Problem solved for me as well. I also got a call today saying the issue with Google Voice extensions was fixed. I tried to set it up again and - voila! It works! I am very happy to finally be able to set my caller ID as my Google Voice number. Now if I could just figure out how to get the Google Voice voicemail to wait more than 4 rings to pick up ... but that seems to be a Google Voice issue rather than an Ooma issue. (I had that problem with my other phone system as well.)

rmarin2

Post by rmarin2 » Fri Feb 19, 2021 6:49 pm

Since you can't adjust GV Voicemail settings, I set Ooma VM to pickup after 22 secs. That still gives time to pick up the call but allows Ooma VM to pick up right before GV does.

Hope that helps!!

a2doxkc

Post by a2doxkc » Fri Feb 19, 2021 8:15 pm

My problem is that by the time I get to the phone, it's already kicked over to voice mail. Though I suppose if I set up so that Ooma voice mail kicked in first, I could possibly intercept it (if the caller bothered to leave a voice mail rather than hanging up).