Problem connecting Telo to wired bridge

Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
hindsight is 20-20
Problem connecting Telo to wired bridge

Post by hindsight is 20-20 » Sat Apr 17, 2021 6:14 pm

We have an older Ooma Telo that worked well with our Centurylink DSL router. The DSL speed was ridiculously slow so we are trying out a new system. Here is the configuration: For internet we now have a T-Mobile cellular device. It's the Inseego 5G MiFi M2000. It is connected wirelessly to a Netgear Nighthawk AC1750 router in bridge mode (it is in bridge mode due to the MiFi M2000 not having any external ethernet ports). So far I have been successful in connecting our other devices but not with the Telo which is connected via ethernet cable to the bridge directly. All I get is a flashing red logo light. I have tried to unplug the Telo to see if it will reset without any success. What else can I try?

murphy

Re: Problem connecting Telo to wired bridge

Post by murphy » Sun Apr 18, 2021 2:18 am

You have the LAN side of the router connected to the T-Mobile device. It is now just a switch, not a router. The IP addresses are being issued by T-Mobile. You have probably hit their limit for IP addresses. A cable modem for example only allows one unless you pay for more.

Get a LAN to wireless adapter and program it to connect to the T-Mobile device. Connect it to the WAN port of the router and take it out of bridge mode. All devices should connect to the router, both wired and wireless. Nothing else should connect to the T-Mobile device.

I use this one.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B018Y ... UTF8&psc=1
Customer since January 2009
Telo with 2 Handsets, a Linx, and a Safety Phone
Telo2 with 2 Handsets and a Linx

hindsight is 20-20

Post by hindsight is 20-20 » Sun Apr 18, 2021 3:28 pm

Thanks for your reply Murphy. The Inseego 5G MiFi M2000 from T-Mobile allows for up to 30 connected devices so I don't think the number of IP's is the issue. We currently have 17 devices connected to it via the bridge. I also checked out the link you provided but it doesn't have the amount of ports needed. I need 3 ethernet ports for: the Ooma, a backup drive and a POE external antenna for our security cams.

hindsight is 20-20

Post by hindsight is 20-20 » Sun Apr 18, 2021 3:35 pm

Murphy, I just re-read your instructions for the device you suggested. I get it now. I am still learning networking and know just enough to get me into trouble ;-) Nonetheless, the T-mobile MiFi should still accept another device as they advertise 30 is their limit.

hindsight is 20-20

Post by hindsight is 20-20 » Mon Apr 26, 2021 4:32 pm

Update: for some unknown reason, my Ooma started working again after I played a voicemail left today from the device. Go figure :shock: