options after replacing Comcast with Ooma and using an alarm?

Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
capedat
options after replacing Comcast with Ooma and using an alarm?

Post by capedat » Tue May 04, 2021 10:34 am

While I do not understand why, it is clear from the discussions that when the Ooma is in Alarm system mode the DTMF tones do not get passed during a call. This means when you call your bank or Ooma customer service and they say “make a selection from the following menu” you are hosed! Not being able to make keypad selections is not an acceptable option.

I have been talking with customer service for hours and they do not seem to even know this problem exists much less how to overcome it. My question is what are my options and what do people recommend?

1) Is there any option to communicate not using Alarm mode? I have tried turning it off and then my tones are back, but the panel cannot call out/connect.

2) If I purchase a Linx can anyone confirm:

a. The Linx can be put in Alarm mode while the Ooma is in Phone/Fax? Is the reverse also true (Ooma Alarm Linx Phone/Fax)? I read this but would like to be sure before I buy.

b. The Linx would probably be in the basement and a good 50-60 feet from the Ooma is that an issue? How well does the Linx really work, and would you trust it any less than the Ooma to connect to an alarm monitoring station?

3) The best option seems to be to buy another Ooma dedicated to the alarm. Can one add a second Ooma to an existing account (different number of course)?

4) What have I not thought of?

Any suggestions greatly appreciated.

Thanks

murphy

Re: options after replacing Comcast with Ooma and using an alarm?

Post by murphy » Tue May 04, 2021 12:06 pm

Is your alarm system configured to use CID (Contact ID)?
In normal mode touch tones are intercepted and regenerated.
That does not work for an alarm system.
In alarm mode the tones are passed through unmodified.
CID uses other tone configurations that are not part of the standard 12 tones in addition to the 12 tones.
This means that the phone you are using must be generating perfect touch tones for it to work in alarm mode.
Try a different phone in alarm mode.
Customer since January 2009
Telo with 2 Handsets, a Linx, and a Safety Phone
Telo2 with 2 Handsets and a Linx

capedat

Re: options after replacing Comcast with Ooma and using an alarm?

Post by capedat » Wed May 05, 2021 12:22 pm

https://support.ooma.com/home/problems- ... uch-tones/

So does not look like they support DTMF to the house (inbound) so if I want to take advantage of existing answering machine or my alarm that allows remote control I am out of luck and when you the put that ooma in Alarm mode you get the following warning.

NOTE: When using a device in Alarm mode, the call-waiting beep will be disabled and the dialed digits will be ignored when navigating in the Ooma voicemail menu.

I tried 3 different phones and listened to the tones generated and it is clearly NOT the phones.

Too bad they do not on their web site explain better or have customer service people who know how the system works.