original ooma steals Vtech messages

Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
alternety
original ooma steals Vtech messages

Post by alternety » Sat May 15, 2021 9:26 am

I have the original ooma. Still works fine.

I just changed a well used Panasonic system to a Vtech system. Trying to figure out what the Vtech does hurts my head (all 71 Vtech pages).

When I answer a Vtech phone call now, the call immediately gets sent to the ooma where it is treated as a missed call. I have to go to the ooma to get the information if there is a play back. We lose the connection as soon as we start talking on the Vtech. Everyone thinks we are hanging up on them.

I suspect the Vtech; but I don't know.

Can anyone suggest a way to stop this?

alternety

Re: original ooma steals Vtech messages

Post by alternety » Thu May 20, 2021 10:34 am

Just a note. I am getting nowhere. I am still trying to find why the phones do not work as expected. The Vtech documentation hurts my head and has not produced any changes I have tried. I have tried some switching around for feeding the ooma Hub. Nothing from wiring Hub points to the interface with the Vtech; but the vtech would seem to be the problem.

Trying to get to support from Vtech is a major problem. The Vetch site is monstrously hard to get information or help at all levels of the manufacturer. I am currently convinced it is stupid Vtech tricks. Replacing the ooma Hub is not feasible.

If anyone out there does Vtech and knows something I would really appreciate ideas.

murphy

Post by murphy » Thu May 20, 2021 11:30 am

Was the Vtech designed to work with an analog phone system? i.e. an ancient landline. Ooma does not use the high voltages that are used on an analog phone system.
Customer since January 2009
Telo with 2 Handsets, a Linx, and a Safety Phone
Telo2 with 2 Handsets and a Linx

tcrass

Post by tcrass » Mon May 24, 2021 9:52 am

I do not know if my problem and cause is related to yours, but there is some similarity. Very long time Ooma user with Ooma hub/scout setup, and using wireless 6 station Panasonic phones. It has worked flawlessly for many years and just recently in last 2-3 weeks, when I answer an incoming call from any phone, it immediately disconnects and I get the dial tone. The incoming caller can leave a message on my Ooma hub, but answering the incoming call and talking is not possible. I have been messing around with the settings but no luck. I was thinking that maybe I accidently blocked the number, but it happens with all incoming number I try. I am wondering if Ooma did something recently to sabotage my old hub but tax free system to get me to upgrade???

tcrass

Post by tcrass » Mon May 24, 2021 10:38 am

I just did a hard reset to factory settings for my Ooma hub and everything seems to be fixed.

alternety

Post by alternety » Thu Jun 03, 2021 10:36 pm

tcrass seems to have the same issue. Thanks for the information.

It would be really helpful if ooma provided some additional support for original buyers that may get owners in a bind. Is it the ooma hub failing; or a change in the Ooma Hub support.

I have looked at all the documentation, but nothing seemed to be relevant.

To round out my problem, there was a power spike that went bang as I stood aside of the equipment. Yes, I have installed spike prevention. Power company noted it as a squirrel or something. We have no phone from Ooma Hub. I have lost my refrigerator and computers. Freezer is iffy. This will be my fourth requirement for replacement (three sets of two are sitting in the garage). The only place to get replacement is in the NE manufacturer. I am in Washington. $1500 each plus a crazy shipping cost with delivery at the road only (long driveway). Just a stupid compressor. I do not have the strength to install the replacement on top of the fridge/freezer. It is a simple slide old one out - slide in a new unit on top. Have to hire someone just to lift the old one out and the new one in. I am too old to lift it.

I have tried extensively to find a compressor replacement. They are a commonly available compressor. Any shop should be able to make a simple repair. A better version of the compressor would be wonderful.

Now Ooma things do not work. The Ooma Hub runs through it's start-up of lights, but nothing gets an internet link. No phones. I had a guy in yesterday to help repairs. My router is destroyed. I have borrowed a replacement while looking at available routers. Modem good.

Is there any way to test and/or repair the Ooma?

alternety

Post by alternety » Fri Jun 04, 2021 2:43 pm

The saga continues. Next iteration.

My my house was hit with a power line failure - the televisions work but the internet things are dead. Yes, I have a couple of power protection devices on the line into my house. Power supplier said it was a squirrel. After checking assorted wires and things, I have not been able to use phones. I had just put in a dozen wireless phones. The router (an Asus that has been with me for years), and I have the the old original Ooma Hub. I also have a failed refrigerator - on contact possible for talking to sources.

While I was trying to figure out why the Vtech phones always sent phone calls directly and not the phones the whole mess noted above occurred.

After the power thing nothing worked. Got a guy in and we tested things. Router dead internally - got a temporary replacement. I have been unable to connect to Ooma. The the Ooma just goes through start up testing and then sits on the blinking top red buttons (1 and 2).

Has Ooma Hub been messed with a change from the manufacturer?? I have no way to test. I can't get the Vtech phones to work with Ooma, or any information exchange with the mother ship running Ooma. I really really need to get Ooma working. I really do not want to lose the account that has the eternal user account.

I have to buy parts for repair. I can not get a phone call out. No conversation with a supplier. We are exiled from the universe.

Responses carefully read.

murphy

Post by murphy » Fri Jun 04, 2021 3:41 pm

Do you have the manual for the Hub? It describes what various blinking light patterns mean. I don't know where my manual is since I stopped using the Hub many years ago.
Customer since January 2009
Telo with 2 Handsets, a Linx, and a Safety Phone
Telo2 with 2 Handsets and a Linx

alternety

Post by alternety » Sun Jun 06, 2021 9:21 am

I have the manual. I have not recognized any useful things in the manual.

Another poster below has suggested that Ooma has changed something. Anyone have related changes?

Not having a phone has been a really a problem. I very badly need a refrigerator repair and I am having difficulty using email for the one manufacturer that can supply the unit. They are on the other end of the continent.

alternety

Post by alternety » Sun Jun 06, 2021 12:06 pm

It appears to me that Ooma has done something bad that excludes the long available Ooma original interface for lifetime.

Something has changed. I have no way to deal with this. It appears Ooma is killing the original customers with no recourse.

Anyone ready to address this issue? I have no information to fix this.