Distributing Ooma signal to jacks

Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
risuzaru
Distributing Ooma signal to jacks

Post by risuzaru » Tue Jul 13, 2021 3:34 pm

Hi all,

I’m setting up Ooma at my in-laws house. Unfortunately, the closest jack is not connected to the box. The wire runs into the basement and stops about 10 feet from the box. There are two lines going to the box in addition to the phone company line. I believe they are the two active jacks in the house. I understand that I can disconnect the plug pictured going into the jack in the box to stop the signal from the phone company. (Is that all I do, or do I have to disconnect the wires?) After that, however, I need a jack to plug the Ooma telo into.

Is it relatively easy to splice telephone wires (so I can get the wire from the nearest jack to the box)? If so, how do I wire it in the box? Do all four wires get connected? The two that are already connected only have two wires each connected. So that’s confusing me, even if I get the wire to the box, there’s nothing to copy.

risuzaru

Re: Distributing Ooma signal to jacks

Post by risuzaru » Tue Jul 13, 2021 3:42 pm

Follow-up question because I have no idea. Can I plug the Ooma into the jack in the box? Or is that jack electrified by the phone company wires?

murphy

Post by murphy » Tue Jul 13, 2021 3:52 pm

Removing the plug from the jack will disconnect the phone company. Put a tag on the plug indicating that it is never to be reconnected.

A phone line only uses two wires. The four wire plug / jack may have been created to allow power for the lights in a Princess phone. They can be used for two phone lines. Red / Green are used for one line and Yellow / Black are used for the second line. Splicing is just remove the insulation, twist the red wires together and twist the green wires together.

Put a wire nut on the bare wires or wrap them with electrical tape.

The jack in the box is connected to the phone company. Maybe a tag on the jack is also in order.
Customer since January 2009
Telo with 2 Handsets, a Linx, and a Safety Phone
Telo2 with 2 Handsets and a Linx

risuzaru

Post by risuzaru » Tue Jul 13, 2021 4:48 pm

Thanks! Got it. I will put tape over that jack so that it won’t be used.

The confusing part is that one of the lines coming in uses yellow and black and the other uses green and red. They only have one phone line, though. So can I just connect the red and green wires from my jack to the same terminals as the red and green are connected to in the box?

murphy

Post by murphy » Wed Jul 14, 2021 2:04 am

Connect the wires for the third jack to the same place the two active jacks are connected.
The end result is all three jacks connected together and NOT connected to the phone company.
The Telo is now the "phone company".
Customer since January 2009
Telo with 2 Handsets, a Linx, and a Safety Phone
Telo2 with 2 Handsets and a Linx

risuzaru

Post by risuzaru » Wed Jul 14, 2021 11:03 am

Thank you so much! I'll be going back next week with some phone cable. It'll be before the number is ported, so I'll be able to test everything and make sure it works. I appreciate your help!

risuzaru

Post by risuzaru » Mon Jul 19, 2021 4:04 pm

Works like a charm! I saved my in-laws over $600 a year. Thanks again, Murphy!