Switching from wired extensions to cordless

Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
peabody
Switching from wired extensions to cordless

Post by peabody » Mon Aug 02, 2021 7:04 am

I have what I believe is the original Telo, which has more buttons than the one they're selling now. The part number on the bottom reads:

110-0110-252, revision A00

I'm currently in a house which has a full twisted-pair telephone network, so the Telo is in an all-wired system, including the extension phones So I just plug the Telo into the nearest phone jack, and the extensions into their nearest jacks, and it all works fine. No cordless phones.

I'm going to be moving into a condo which I don't think has any phone jacks. So I'll need to use cordless phones. It appears the Telo has built-in cordless support, but am I limited to using Ooma phones (HD2?) with it? It seems an alternative would be to get a completely separate cordless system, and plug the Telo into its base station.

Can someone explain what my options actually are? I would probably need four phones in total. And I should say that I have no experience with cordless phones, so I know nothing about all this DECT stuff, or what's compatible with what.

Thanks for any help.

murphy

Re: Switching from wired extensions to cordless

Post by murphy » Mon Aug 02, 2021 12:36 pm

The Telo DECT support is only compatible with Ooma handsets. I am not aware of any manufacturer of cordless phones that have compatibility with any other manufacturer.

The Telo you have supports up to 4 HD2 handsets. I do not think it supports HD3 handsets.

The other option is cordless phones. They come with various numbers of handsets. I have an ancient Panasonic that supports up to 8 handsets. I have another Panasonic that supports up to 4 handsets.

I see two ways to get to 4 handsets.
Buy a cordless system that supports 4 handsets.
Buy two cordless systems that support 2 handsets and connect both bases to the Telo using a standard telephone line splitter. There are cordless systems with and without a built in answering machine. Without should be less expensive.
My systems have a built in answering machine. They are both turned off because I use Ooma voicemail.

DECT is just another frequency band. Any cordless system should work fine including one that uses the DECT frequencies.

DECT operates between 1880 and 1900 MHz.
Older systems operate on 5.8 GHz, 2.4 GHz, 900 MHz.
Buy whatever you can get a good price on.

Here is a two handset system.

https://www.amazon.com/VTech-CS6719-2-2 ... 035&sr=8-4

Here is an expansion handset for the previous system

https://www.amazon.com/VTech-CS6709-Acc ... I7GM&psc=1

You can add up to 3 of these expansion handsets for a total of 5.
Customer since January 2009
Telo with 2 Handsets, a Linx, and a Safety Phone
Telo2 with 2 Handsets and a Linx

peabody

Post by peabody » Tue Aug 03, 2021 7:10 am

Thanks very much. I don't see the HD2 anywhere on the Ooma site or on Amazon. And the HD3s are $50 each, plus I would have to get the new Telo. So it seems the best option is to get the Vtech phones you linked to.

SpynCycle

Post by SpynCycle » Fri Aug 06, 2021 5:09 am

Any brand of cordless phone will work, as long as the base is connected to the Telo.
I use a Panasonic with 6 handsets. I previously used another Panasonic with 5 handsets, but it got old and the batteries weren't holding a charge very long, so I got a new one, but that's been over 5 years now.
I moved last year, and the new house has phone wiring, but I've never tested it to see if it works, the Panasonic handsets do the job so well.