Switching from Rogers Home VOIP to Ooma - need help please

Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
anfieldboy
Switching from Rogers Home VOIP to Ooma - need help please

Post by anfieldboy » Fri Feb 18, 2022 11:40 am

Hi folks

User Profile: I am new to Ooma and bought the telo 2 for my parents and have it plugged into a Rogers cable modem via ethernet port and into one old desk phone to make sure sound and call quality was good. My pilot worked great.

Current State: My parents live in a condo and are 80+. Cable modem (Rogers ignite) and Rogers (Home phone not Ignite) via a Rogers eMTA telephone modem (not Ignite). The plan is to cancel Rogers home phone but keep Rogers Ignite Internet. The unit has a Sittelle box connected to the Rogers home phone modem, I assume to make sure they can buzz in people from the security intercom who are visiting them?

Question: For me to transfer all the handsets to Ooma, what do I need to do? Do I just unplug the telephone line that currently goes into the Rogers phone modem (eMTA) and put it into the back of the Ooma. I did that but the phones had no dial tone even after rebooting the Ooma.

Do i also need to totally switch off the emTA and unplug the cable connection? I want to make sure all the handsets work before I port.

Thank you so much for helping. I am a novice.

anfieldboy

Re: Switching from Rogers Home VOIP to Ooma - need help please

Post by anfieldboy » Sat Feb 19, 2022 7:05 pm

figured it out. Have to totally disconnect the Rogers phone modem - cable connection and power. All good now.