Disconnecting landline, outside box or inside (low voltage)?

Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
sarojani
Disconnecting landline, outside box or inside (low voltage)?

Post by sarojani » Mon May 09, 2022 7:13 pm

I'm trying to get Ooma to ring all the jacks in my house. We ported our number from AT&T successfully, so now I just need to disconnect the landline from the internal lines.

I have 2 "boxes" with phone wires - the AT&T box outside, and a low voltage box inside where our ethernet, cable, and phone drops are all coralled.

Should I disconnect outside or inside (see photos)? Also, exactly what would I need to disconnect?

OUTSIDE

Do I just disconnect the two blue/white wires at the top (in the orange clips)? What about the green/white one that goes over to the left side of the box?

INSIDE

Should I disconnect everything from the "IN" clips? How do I do that? Can I just unplug that whole harness? (Ignore the alarm modular plug, we no longer have landline monitoring on the system - it's now cellular).

sarojani

Re: Disconnecting landline, outside box or inside (low voltage)?

Post by sarojani » Tue May 17, 2022 9:29 am

Bump? Any help at all would be appreciated.

Robek

Post by Robek » Wed May 18, 2022 1:01 pm

What does "low voltage" mean for the inside box? Generally, the internal wiring should be no voltage, and completely disconnected from any outside lines. Check Ooma's website for more information.

It seems like unplugging everything from the "IN" jack should be enough to separate the inside from the outside. But:
If you have any questions or concerns regarding whether or not the phone jacks in your house are still connected to the phone company’s wiring outside your house you should consult with a licensed electrician before proceeding!

sarojani

Post by sarojani » Mon May 23, 2022 5:50 pm

Thanks! I think "low voltage" was my careless misuse of a term I heard the contractors using to refer to the wiring that is in that box (they may actually have been referring to my security system/audio wiring, but I'm not entirely sure).

I eventually just disconnected the wires at the outside box (the two blue/blue & white in the orange clips near the top). Turns out the green wire wasn't actually connected to anything - it moved when I moved the orange clips to disconnect the other wires.

Now I am certain that none of the wires leading into the house from that box outside are connected to anything - so I'm confident I have disconnected the phone company's signal from the inside wiring. I left everything in the inside box alone.

Stelcom66

Post by Stelcom66 » Sat May 28, 2022 8:18 am

Sounds like you did it correctly. Yeah different terms can be used depending on who you talk to. Were you able to get dial tone on all the jacks in the house that previously did before? Assuming on the wh/bl pair was disconnected in the first photo, that should be the case.

sarojani

Post by sarojani » Sat May 28, 2022 8:46 am

Yup, that's how it works now. Thanks!