Done with Ooma. I give up.

Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
dnatrop
Done with Ooma. I give up.

Post by dnatrop » Fri Mar 24, 2023 2:19 pm

Have been an Ooma customer since late October 2022. The first Telo Air worked until about mid February, then died. Would not make outgoing calls or receive calls. After hours on the (cell) phone with technical support, Ooma sent a replacement Telo. The replacement would receive calls, but I could not make outgoing calls. More hours on the (cell) phone with Tier 3 technical support, they tried to push a firmware update to my replacement Telo. Technical support gave me a list of ports to open on my router, which I did. They suggested disabling the firewall, which I reluctantly did for a short time and then re-enabled. We also tried a factory reset. Nothing worked. Still could not make outgoing calls. Ooma sent another Telo Air (2nd replacement, third device). Disconnected the second Telo, plugged in the third Telo. Third Telo would boot and then go into two flashes and a pause, repeat ad infinitum. After three days, contacted technical support again. Per technical support, connected the Telo directly to the ONT ("modem" for fiber internet) using a known good CAT5e cable. The third Telo boots. At the RJ45 Internet jack on the Telo back side, green link light is on, amber data blinks. Then the Telo goes into its two blinks and a pause. This is a direct connection to the Internet: no router, no firewall, no ports blocked. Connected a laptop to the Home port on the back of the Telo. From the laptop, I see the Telo has an IP address assigned by the ONT/modem. Home screen says Internet Connected, Network Not Connected. On the Status Screen it says Internet Port: Connected, with the IP address listed. On the Tools | Ports page, Advanced Scan says every port is Allowed (none denied). From the laptop connected to the Telo Home port, I can open a browser window to any Internet site (i.e. Google.com). This tells me the physical connection is working, the Telo has an IP address and no ports are denied. Should connect to Ooma servers, but it never connects.

Been screwing around with these Telos for over a month trying to get them to work. It is the only device on my network (or even directly connected to the ONT/modem) that is giving me problems. All other wired and wireless devices are working just fine. I have my cell phone. I really don't need a second phone. The silence of no junk phone calls the last several weeks has been kind of nice. So, that's it, I'm done with Ooma. Good by Ooma.