Ooma and Incoming VPN

Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
wrnoof
Ooma and Incoming VPN

Post by wrnoof » Fri Jun 16, 2023 8:36 am

Just FYI. Do not set up your system with Ooma Telo between the modem and router if you connect remotely to your network. I tried this, and incoming VPN (Windows 10 generic PPP VPN) and Remote Desktop traffic did not pass through the Ooma Telo to the router. I realized the problem was with Ooma Telo when my router log showed no incoming traffic while I was trying to connect from outside the network. Also, my Norton 360 firewall would not allow access to in-network remote PC files unless I listed each client device as "Trusted" in the firewall settings. Setting up Ooma Melo downstream of the router (Modem => Router => Ooma Telo) fixed everything.

Robek

Re: Ooma and Incoming VPN

Post by Robek » Sun Jun 18, 2023 5:44 pm

The Telo network ports are limited to 100 Mbps, so users with faster internet speeds should place the router in front of the Telo anyway, (modem <--> router <--> Telo INTERNET port), and connect faster devices directly to the router.

Users may also want to connect one or more devices that don't require faster speeds to the Telo HOME port instead, for other reasons: not enough router ports, poor wi-fi performance, restricted setup.ooma.com access, more convenient location, etc.

In that case, some applications, such as Windows Remote Desktop, may require port forwarding, in order to work properly on devices connected through the Telo HOME port. The Telo management interface help page has more information about that.