Disable Ooma Telo Firewall

Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
CamilliLarry
Disable Ooma Telo Firewall

Post by CamilliLarry » Tue Jun 20, 2023 3:44 am

I installed a Telo between my (fiber) cable modem and my router. I have some port forwarding enabled in the router. With the Telo installed, nothing is getting through anymore. Can I assume that the Telo has ANOTHER firewall (which I do not want) that is blocking everything by default? How do I turn it off? Or, I suppose, how do I enable port forwarding for every port that I might ever want to use? [As I recall when I installed the modem, its LAN-side connection makes the internet visible (No NAT; 47.n.n.n-style addresses), and my router is taking care of NAT (translating to 192.168...). Is the Telo doing NAT, too?

Or, do I just give up and return the Telo and go back to the crappy Spectrum Voice set-up?

larryk

Re: Disable Ooma Telo Firewall

Post by larryk » Tue Jun 20, 2023 8:00 am

Install Ooma after the router, you do not want all of your traffic going through it...

Robek

Re: Disable Ooma Telo Firewall

Post by Robek » Wed Jun 21, 2023 6:32 pm

Who provided the cable modem? Other users have discussed similar problems trying to get their Spectrum cable modem working with the Telo, but nobody offered any solutions there. It looked like the modem firewall might have been blocking useful Telo service ports.

If any devices are connected to the HOME port, then it could help to configure the INTERNET port MAC address (to use built-in?), or to set up a DMZ host to bypass the Telo firewall. By default, the Telo DHCP service assigns IP addresses (172.27.35.xxx) to devices connected to the HOME port.