How to set up Ooma in location on property only accessible by wired ethernet

Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
KenBeeman
How to set up Ooma in location on property only accessible by wired ethernet

Post by KenBeeman » Thu Sep 28, 2023 8:00 am

I have a workshop that I want to access Ooma through as well as in our house. The workshop is a metal shed that is 300 feet away so the wireless capability of Ooma does not work going from the house to the shed. I do have a buried ethernet cable running to the shed and then an access point in the workshop so that tablets and mobile phones can access the internet.
I currently have a separate landline in the shop with a separate phone number that can also be answered in our house. Our plan is to port both phone lines to Ooma. We could not answer both lines in the workshop, only the workshop line. Our goal is to have the ability to answer both lines using handsets connected to Ooma boxes whether the call is for the house or the workshop.
I have live chatted with Ooma support twice. The first support person told me that I would have to have a second Ooma box in the workshop to connect to my handset in the workshop but indicated that both Ooma boxes would be able to work under one account and be aware of both lines using the premier service.
The second support person told me that, that was not possible and that a second Ooma box would not be aware of the other line.
It seems the linx unit requires wireless connection and does not accommodate a ethernet connection. Which support person is correct, can I have two Ooma boxes under one Ooma premiere account, or will I need to get a mobile device to use Ooma in the workshop?

Robek

Re: How to set up Ooma in location on property only accessible by wired ethernet

Post by Robek » Sat Sep 30, 2023 3:39 pm

Each (Telo) base station has its own account, and its own assigned phone numbers. Base stations have an ethernet jack, a telephone jack, and can also connect to wireless devices (such as the Linx or HD3 handset). The Linx has a telephone jack, but no ethernet jack.

For one base station with two numbers, if there is already an (RJ11) telephone connection running from the house to the shed, (and physically disconnected from any external voltage), then use that to connect a phone in the shed either to a base station in the house, or to a Linx in the house that's paired with the base station.

For two base stations with one number each, one in the house, and the other in the shed, set up call forwarding from the first to the second, so that the second receives calls for both numbers. It may not be possible to also set up call forwarding from the second to the first, since that could create a forwarding loop.