OOMA Telo "No Line"

Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
KM87
OOMA Telo "No Line"

Post by KM87 » Thu Feb 15, 2024 7:19 am

Hi,
I have installed an Ooma Telo in the past and it works great (and has been for several years). I am attempting to help my parents do the same thing at their house. Sadly, we are not in the same area of the country, so I have to rely on video calls, pictures, etc. as I am not able to physically be there to assist them at this time.

They currently have XFinity with Internet and home phone service (much like I did). As a test, we purchased an Ooma Telo, assigned it a temporary number, and got it activated. I had them plug the telo into their router (their xfinity modem is a modem / gateway, but they are only using it as a modem, as we have a separate router providing wi-fi). So for the setup, Xfinity Modem / Gateway > Router > Telo. The telo boots up, and shows a blue light. When they connect a phone to it (brand new cordless phones), it says "no line" on the phone's display. I attempt to make test calls, and when I login to the Ooma dashboard, I see the missed calls, and I can hear the voicemails (they also can hear the voicemails on the telo device itself). The phones never ring, and when they pick the phone up to dial out, there is no dial tone.

We have tried a corded phone as well, with the same results (never rings, no dial tone, yet the telo shows a blue symbol).

We have rebooted the Telo itself a few times, but have not rebooted the modem, the router, etc. What am I missing? I don't want to port their number over until we test this successfully. Once they are able to get off of the Xfinity VOIP setup, the plan is to purchase their own modem, and send the Xfinity combo modem / gateway back, but again, we can't do this just yet.

Robek

Re: OOMA Telo "No Line"

Post by Robek » Sat Feb 17, 2024 12:08 pm

If the Telo can play voicemails, then it does have some connectivity. First, double-check that the Router is plugged into the Telo 'INTERNET' port, and that the phone is plugged into the Telo 'PHONE' port. Next, connect a computer to the Telo 'HOME' port, and open a web browser to access the device settings.

Check the device's 'Home' and 'Status' pages; everything should show as connected, configured, running, or active, (except 'Enhanced Inbound Caller-ID'). Then, from the 'Tools' page, run a port scan to check whether the gateway/router blocks any TCP or UDP service ports, and adjust any Xfinity firewall settings, as needed.

Maybe check for any call statistics under 'Tools', looking for packet loss/jitter/latency, etc. And check the 'Home Network' page to confirm no DMZ set up, and the 'Advanced' page to confirm no port forwarding. The 'System' page under 'Tools' also has a factory reset button to start over, which may or may not help.

To reboot everything, first turn everything off, wait a few minutes, then reboot the modem/gateway, wait a few more minutes to reboot the router, and then wait a few more minutes to reboot the Telo. If nothing else works, and it's still under warranty, then contact Ooma to ask about replacing it.