Scout as whole house line

Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
oomg
Re: Scout as whole house line

Post by oomg » Wed Aug 26, 2009 9:13 am

I have AT&T DSL. I had researched the system pretty well before jumping in and planned the system in advance, all of which has worked very well.

I have Hub and Scout at my desk. Cordless base phone (with 5 additional stations) at the Hub with my 555-HOME number. My #1 Scout is assigned to my second (555-WORK) number through splitter at the wall port. Other side of splitter goes to house wall jack. I have two other Scouts; #2 in that "convenient for retrieving messages" spot, and #3 in my son's room (each with separate cordless phones).

Although not necessary, one could place a Scout anywhere in the home as a stand alone device, or connect the cordless base station at any of the Scouts. Given the nominal cost of an additional Scout on the resale market, I would recommend my set up to anyone, particularly those who have family members who don't quite understand how the system works.
oomg -- Voice Over Internet Person

I've learned a lot here... two months ago I didn't even know how to spell VOIP and now I are one.

murphy

Post by murphy » Wed Aug 26, 2009 9:32 am

kdaniel33 wrote:Am I over complicating things.
Without having a wiring diagram of your house it's all guess work on my part.

Are all of the L1 lines in your house connected to all of the jacks in your house?
Are all of the L2 lines in your house connected to all of the jacks in your house?
Are all of the L3 lines in your house connected to all of the jacks in your house?

Or is every jack in the house home run wired to the distribution panel in the basement and you have to install jumpers to activate each jack?

You want to end up with the L1 pins of every jack in the house tied together, the L2 pins of every jack in the house tied together, and the L3 pins of every jack in the house tied together.

There will be no input to the distribution panel like there was when it was fed by the telephone company.
Customer since January 2009
Telo with 2 Handsets, a Linx, and a Safety Phone
Telo2 with 2 Handsets and a Linx

kdaniel33

Post by kdaniel33 » Wed Aug 26, 2009 9:43 am

Every jack in the home is home run wired to a panel and I uses jumpers for everything.

kdaniel33

Post by kdaniel33 » Wed Aug 26, 2009 9:54 am

Why would there be no input to the telco distribution panel anymore ( this is not from the telephone company this is a panel that I installed and have been using without problems for a couple years) as I have 6 or 7 phones spread throughout the house of various types that all plug into the panel to get their line. I realize I would completely remove the phone company entry into the house from the box outside and this is no problem.

niknak

Post by niknak » Wed Aug 26, 2009 10:02 am

you have to wire all the pairs per line in parallel

murphy

Post by murphy » Wed Aug 26, 2009 10:08 am

Because you are going to feed all three lines from jacks upstairs where the hub and scout plug in.

There are other ways to do it that require a custom wiring job.

kdaniel33

Post by kdaniel33 » Wed Aug 26, 2009 10:22 am

I admit to total confusion. I thought the idea of the telco module was that it hooked all of the L1's, L2's, L3's and L4's in parallel behind the scenes and it also allows me to choose my line priorities for instance if I hook my phone jumper into the row of jacks labeled
L1, then L2, then L3, then L4, it would use the lines in that priority order.

If I hooked my phone jumper into the row of jacks labeled
L2, then L1, L3, L4 etc. then that phone would prioritize line 2.

niknak

Post by niknak » Wed Aug 26, 2009 10:31 am

Telephone wiring is not complicated - there are 2 wires (tip and ring) -
in order for all jacks to share a particular line the tip and ring wires must be connected in parallel

As long as you know for certain which wires are which you can connect as many jacks as you need on whichever lines you need them on

murphy

Post by murphy » Wed Aug 26, 2009 10:32 am

Perhaps it would help if you gave us a link to the installation instructions for the telco module.

I assumed you had a standard punch down block. Now it sounds like a piece of equipment that has PBX rollover capability.

kdaniel33

Post by kdaniel33 » Wed Aug 26, 2009 11:11 am

Maybe some pictures will help. Here is the panel will all of the wiring coming in at the top. Just a standard punch down. The jumpers run to either the switch - sitting on the shelf or the telcom module which is the small square device just below the panel. Don't let the line filter heading into the telco fool you - I used to have DSL but got rid of it some time ago.

Next is a close up of the telco module

Notice on the left is the LINE IN 1-4 which is a Cat5e cable. Don't be concerned by the Line Seizure that runs to the alarm system, I don't use it and will be unhooking it. Notice all of my connections are in Line out right now because I got rid of my second line. With Ooma premiere and the scout I was planning to reconnect my office on a private line using the jacks just above the red hood covers labled Line Out 2,1,3,4.

Also note that you do not see the OOma or my router becuase they are sitting upstairs on my desk, but they are hooked up with home runs with the ooma working between the modem and the router.

I hope the pictures worked out.

Keith