Personal mail boxes

Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
realsol
Personal mail boxes

Post by realsol » Tue Dec 02, 2008 11:12 pm

Are personal mail boxes only available per scout and hub. I mean if I add some additional lines with distinct rings, does each have their own mailbox or only if they each have their own hub?

Also, I have a fax machine that recognises distictive ring tones for the phone company and will answer if it hears one assgined to it (so the manual says, haven't tried it). Does Ooma use the same rings as the phone company, I mean are the standard?

Sorry, and also, if I assign 2 phone number to one scout and hit the do not disturb, does this work for both phone numbers assigned?

Thanks again.

Dennis P
Ooma Moderator

Re: Personal mail boxes

Post by Dennis P » Thu Dec 04, 2008 12:15 pm

1. Yes, personal mailboxes are only available if you have assigned a specific device (ooma Hub or Scout) to it. If you add multiple numbers without assigning it to a specific device, those numbers would all share one mailbox. Cool hack: you can create "voicemail only" mailboxes by creating a "fake" device (invalid device ID). All calls will roll directly to voicemail and you could have those voicemails forwarded to your email.

2. We haven't tested the distinctive ring patterns with fax machines that recognize the distinctive ring, but the basic patterns that we used are fairly standard, so they should work.

3. Yes, if you assign two numbers to a Scout, Do Not Disturb would apply to both numbers.

realsol

Re: Personal mail boxes

Post by realsol » Thu Dec 04, 2008 1:23 pm

I would like to have a 3rd number to have strictly for my fax. The Lounge won't let me setup a 3rd number without calling. I have read about the long wait times when calling, so haven't been so anxious to call. Is there a support ticket system or email where users can request such things rather than calling?

If I decide to setup a 3rd number, I understand that is additional cost beyond that of the premier service, or am I wrong? Is there a charge for each one? How does that work.

I don't need 3rd line if distinctive ringing doesn't work with my fax or my fax switch. If it doesn't work, is there a way to cancel the 3rd line without incurring charges once I have a chance to test it?

Thanks.