Connecting 2 Hubs

Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
GSP
Connecting 2 Hubs

Post by GSP » Sun May 11, 2008 10:34 am

Is there a specific sequence to connect 2 ooma Hubs to a single modem network?

I have tried to connect them in series, but the second Hub won't initialize properly (flashing red ooma light). I also tried to connect the second Hub to my router, but that failed also.

Setups that I've tried:

1. <modem> <1st Hub> <2nd Hub> < Router>
2. <modem> <1st Hub> <Router> <2nd Hub>

Thanks,

GSP

Bobby B
Ooma Moderator

Re: Connecting 2 Hubs

Post by Bobby B » Mon May 12, 2008 9:13 am

Hi GSP,

I gave this a try in my lab with the following configuration:

<modem> <1st Hub> <2nd Hub> <Computer>

At first the 2nd Hub did not come up properly. I had a look at it's port configuration, by browsing to http://setup.ooma.com from the computer. The problem I found there was that the HOME port and the MODEM port were in the same IP address space (172.27.35.X) because it was receiving an IP address from the 1st Hub.

You can avoid this by changing the default address space for the 2nd Hub. To change the address, browse to setup.ooma.com and click on "Advanced" I've attached a screenshot with the new address settings (I just used the 172.27.38.X address space). After you change the IP address, just reboot the 2nd ooma Hub. You may also need to reboot the attached computer or router so that it will pick up the new IP address.

Hope that helps.

-Bobby
GSP wrote:Is there a specific sequence to connect 2 ooma Hubs to a single modem network?

I have tried to connect them in series, but the second Hub won't initialize properly (flashing red ooma light). I also tried to connect the second Hub to my router, but that failed also.

Setups that I've tried:

1. <modem> <1st Hub> <2nd Hub> < Router>
2. <modem> <1st Hub> <Router> <2nd Hub>

Thanks,

GSP
Attachments
setup-ip.gif
setup screenshot
setup-ip.gif (29.1KiB)Viewed 10904 times
Bobby B

jsmith6

Post by jsmith6 » Tue May 13, 2008 11:37 am

Is there any way I can have a second hub but a different location, say at my vacation home?

James M. Smith

Bobby B
Ooma Moderator

Post by Bobby B » Tue May 13, 2008 1:27 pm

Sure, it's not a problem installing a second hub at a different location. Even if you own multiple ooma Hubs, each one functions independently of the other.
jsmith6 wrote:Is there any way I can have a second hub but a different location, say at my vacation home?

James M. Smith
Bobby B

jsmith6

Post by jsmith6 » Fri May 23, 2008 9:03 pm

Thanks for the comment. Is there any way to have two hubs work together so that the same number rings at two locations?

Bobby B
Ooma Moderator

Post by Bobby B » Tue May 27, 2008 9:29 am

Hi jsmith6, right now you cannot ring two different ooma Hubs in separate locations with a single phone number. This functionality will work in the future when the call forwarding feature is available on the ooma system[which is on the near-term development roadmap].

Thanks!
Bobby
Bobby B