Help with Ooma and Router

Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
leejoh2
Help with Ooma and Router

Post by leejoh2 » Sun Sep 27, 2009 2:02 pm

I just installed my Ooma and it goes like this:Modem>Ooma>Router>Computers. I don't know much about computers, so try to be specific in your answers. I used to be able to access my router's website by going to 192.168.11.1 . But now I am not able to connect to that site. What is the problem?

niknak

Re: Help with Ooma and Router

Post by niknak » Sun Sep 27, 2009 2:56 pm

this is a common problem when ooma is "in front" of your router

temporaily connect a pc to the ooma hub's HOME port
browse to http://set.ooma.com, you should be able to access ooma setup now

if you want to keep the ability to browse to ooma' setup page anytime, you need to put the home port IP address of your ooma into the "DMZ"
then assign an IP address to the ooma hub within the scope of your dhcp server on the router ( in your case 192.168.11.xxx)

reboot the hub, plug the pc back into the router - you should now be able to reach all of your devices from the browser's address bar

scottlindner

Post by scottlindner » Sun Sep 27, 2009 3:05 pm

Don't put the Hub's LAN port in the Hub's DMZ in this configuration. You only do that when you use the Hub behind a router, you never use it when it's in front of a router.

I suspect the reason you cannot access your router's configuration page is that its IP address has changed. On one of your PCs bring up a Command Prompt and type "ipconfig". The address listed for "Default Gateway" is the address you should use to access your router's configuration page. Use this address in a browser on your machine and see if it gives you your router's configuration page. Post the results on the ipconfig command so we all have it for reference in case there is more to this problem.

Scott

scottlindner

Post by scottlindner » Sun Sep 27, 2009 3:07 pm

niknak wrote:temporaily connect a pc to the ooma hub's HOME port
browse to http://set.ooma.com, you should be able to access ooma setup now
Were you drinking beer when typing this?

niknak

Post by niknak » Sun Sep 27, 2009 3:57 pm

oh yes!!! drinking beer and watching football
thanks scott for correcting me!

leejoh2

Post by leejoh2 » Sun Sep 27, 2009 4:35 pm

scottlindner wrote:Don't put the Hub's LAN port in the Hub's DMZ in this configuration. You only do that when you use the Hub behind a router, you never use it when it's in front of a router.

I suspect the reason you cannot access your router's configuration page is that its IP address has changed. On one of your PCs bring up a Command Prompt and type "ipconfig". The address listed for "Default Gateway" is the address you should use to access your router's configuration page. Use this address in a browser on your machine and see if it gives you your router's configuration page. Post the results on the ipconfig command so we all have it for reference in case there is more to this problem.

Scott
I did this, but the ip in the "Default Gateway" takes me to the Ooma Setup Page. And would it help if I post the addresses under Advanced Settings (in the Ooma Setup Page)here? Here is what comes up when i type in ipconfig:

Windows IP Configuration

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::5dbc:758e:1f48:a279%11
IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 172.27.35.151
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 172.27.35.1

Tunnel adapter Local Area Connection* 6:

Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected

Tunnel adapter Local Area Connection* 7:

Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected

murphy

Post by murphy » Sun Sep 27, 2009 4:51 pm

Do you have the WAN / Internet port of your router connected to the Home port of the ooma hub? The IP address that your computer received suggests that you connected a LAN port of your router to the Home port of the hub.
Customer since January 2009
Telo with 2 Handsets, a Linx, and a Safety Phone
Telo2 with 2 Handsets and a Linx

leejoh2

Post by leejoh2 » Sun Sep 27, 2009 4:55 pm

murphy wrote:Do you have the WAN / Internet port of your router connected to the Home port of the ooma hub? The IP address that your computer received suggests that you connected a LAN port of your router to the Home port of the hub.
I think I do. I am not sure because someone else set it up for me. At this point in time, everything is working fine. I just need to access my router's webpage to set a password for wireless internet.

scottlindner

Post by scottlindner » Sun Sep 27, 2009 6:23 pm

Can you access your Ooma Hub's configuration page? You should be able to reach it at http://setup.ooma.com in your current configuration. Go to the Ports page, under Modem, note the IP address assigned to the Hub. It is listed under "addr". Next, go to http://whatismyip.com/ and note your Internet IP address. Are the Hub's Modem address and your Internet address the same?

By what you've told us I'm confused why you're having issues. I apologize if these questions end up being wild goose chases. Right now I'm trying to get a sense for what's going on.

Can you verify the cables to make sure it's hooked up the way you believe it is?
Ooma Hub Internet port - connected to modem
Ooma Hub Computer port - connected to router WAN port
Router WAN port - connected to Ooma Hub Computer port
Router LAN port - connected to your PC, or a network hub or switch

Scott

leejoh2

Post by leejoh2 » Sun Sep 27, 2009 7:22 pm

scottlindner wrote:Can you access your Ooma Hub's configuration page? You should be able to reach it at http://setup.ooma.com in your current configuration. Go to the Ports page, under Modem, note the IP address assigned to the Hub. It is listed under "addr". Next, go to http://whatismyip.com/ and note your Internet IP address. Are the Hub's Modem address and your Internet address the same?

By what you've told us I'm confused why you're having issues. I apologize if these questions end up being wild goose chases. Right now I'm trying to get a sense for what's going on.

Can you verify the cables to make sure it's hooked up the way you believe it is?
Ooma Hub Internet port - connected to modem
Ooma Hub Computer port - connected to router WAN port
Router WAN port - connected to Ooma Hub Computer port
Router LAN port - connected to your PC, or a network hub or switch

Scott
Both the ip's you told me to look up match. And all the cables are connected like you described.